Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 31, 2018   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Will Garden Dust effect pollination??

That's my question. I'm SWIMMING in Aphids and Flea Beetles. I've tried most methods. Was thinking of going the dust route as a last resort.

Will dust 'cake' up the flowers and prevent pollination?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Last edited by gssgarden; May 31, 2018 at 05:29 PM.
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #2
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Im certainly no expert, but casual use of garden dust shouldnt cause trouble. If your dipping the flowers down it, then you would have problems.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #3
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

No dipping. Will get one of those hand held dusters with the crank and have at it. They're just out of control this year!
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2018   #4
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

I'm in NC also and the flea beetles (and possibly aphids) are after my small garden as well. I had them last year pretty badly and with the rainy humid weather these past couple of weeks.......argh.

I had a brief break in the rain about 3 days ago and I dusted my plants well with some DE which has helped a lot. Last night, I hung out yellow sticky traps and sprinkled some Sluggo around just for good measure (slugs come out with the rain around here).

As mentioned, my garden is small so I just used a small hand held puffer when I dusted. I tried to avoid dusting around the blooms and since then the rain has washed all the DE away. I'm trying to stay on top of problems this year since things got out of hand last year.
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote