Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 18, 2018   #16
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmran1 View Post
Brandywine
Dang it. Yes I always grow a couple of Pink Brandywine.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #17
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I am watching this thread. This year I am (was) limited to 10 tomato spots until I get my pepper list under control. So far I have 4 spots reserved for Paul Robeson and 1 for Supersweet 100. Looking for the other 5 spots to fill and I have lots of different seed varieties (I was thinking 2 Romas, 1 Omar's Lebanese, 1 Arkansas Traveler and the other one for a random variety. But as I had already explained to Lisa in a PM, I am taking advantage of another offer from a friend which doubles my space - so now I will be able to grow much, much more!
Yes . I would describe planning your newly acquired extra garden space akin to wild abandon

Keeping PR in your home bed is still worth considering as blacks tend to split readily and keeping a close eye on them is key to a blemish free harvest.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #18
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Not to 10 just yet so keep 'em coming!

I love the bi-color flavor.

- Lisa
If you haven't grown Orange Russian 117 yet, that was easily the tallest bi-color tomato I've grown.

kath

On another thread here about the tallest tomato you've grown, cherries were mentioned most, but Gary 'OSena and Limbaugh's Legacy got HUGE in b54red's garden. Hope you don't mind, Bill.

Last edited by kath; February 18, 2018 at 07:37 PM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #19
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Sweet million will jump out of the top with ease.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #20
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
If you haven't grown Orange Russian 117 yet, that was easily the tallest bi-color tomato I've grown.

kath

On another thread here about the tallest tomato you've grown, cherries were mentioned most, but Gary 'OSena and Limbaugh's Legacy got HUGE in b54red's garden. Hope you don't mind, Bill.

For reference, here is the thread referenced by Kath:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=35790&page=2

Indeed it is heavy on cherries.

Two more tall growers for consideration.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #21
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

I had three varieties reach the top of my Texas Tomato Cages last year. German Johnson, Joe's Pink Oxheart and Pink Ping Pong. Only one of those fits your criteria of beefsteak varieties. If you can find some seed for Joe's Pink Oxheart, you ought to give it a try. Tremendously vigorous and great flavor.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #22
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I grow 3 main hybrids every year: Early Girl, Big Beef, and Park's Whopper. They all top out at over 7'....
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #23
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I love the bi-color flavor. Lucky Cross is one of my absolute favorites.
Somehow I missed discussions of Big Rainbow. If per chance it comes in the MMMM envelope, its going to go in one.

Brandywine OTV, PP, George D., NAR, all great choices.

I'm surprised Big Beef is on the list. I don't remember it being exceptionally tall. Ball Seed lists it at 4 feet. Same with Chapman, excellent taste but one that is shorter in stature for me.

I haven't purchased the cages but looking at prices I will be buying 6 and then an additional 3 after inspection. So I only need a few more!

- Lisa

Oh yes the wind, in my tornado and hail/ high wind area tposts are a must. Thanks for the heads up.
Not sure what you pay for TTC's, but with concrete re mesh I can make a 5' cage that last for years for $3.50/ea.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018   #24
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

If you have a cage open... Juane Flamme
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #25
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Have grown with great results
Mortgage Lifter
Brandywine Red
Cherokee purple

Trying this year
True Black Brandywine Red.

The first time I grew the ML, BR and CP, I tried vertical support with nylon string, the string broke from the weight of the plants and I just let them grow where they wanted to.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #26
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I would leave the big beef on the list just because of the weight all the tomatoes the plant make.it needs a really sturdy cage. it isn't an exceptionally tall plant but it yields a lot of large tomatoes. I normally get 16 tomatoes to a peck basket.
Old February 19, 2018   #27
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I love the bi-color flavor. Lucky Cross is one of my absolute favorites.
Somehow I missed discussions of Big Rainbow. If per chance it comes in the MMMM envelope, its going to go in one.

Brandywine OTV, PP, George D., NAR, all great choices.

I'm surprised Big Beef is on the list. I don't remember it being exceptionally tall. Ball Seed lists it at 4 feet. Same with Chapman, excellent taste but one that is shorter in stature for me.

I haven't purchased the cages but looking at prices I will be buying 6 and then an additional 3 after inspection. So I only need a few more!

- Lisa

Oh yes the wind, in my tornado and hail/ high wind area tposts are a must. Thanks for the heads up.
I bought 6 texas tomato cages last year. They worked great. None of my tomato plants
leaned over. We don't have tornado's or high winds here though.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #28
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

yes to t-post in the land of oz, and I use zip ties x2 to secure - makes setup a breeze.

I didn't see what "size" you got - the 20" or 24". I got the 24" and initially the cage can be a bit overwhelming for young transplants. I have been toying with cone insertion inside the TTC to add stability during the early stages, as you allude, the torrents of spring can be tornadic and dramatic.

some years my plants jump the top and I add extension - as needed - I have like 30 cages and only 8 extensions. the sweet million or SS100 growns like a bean stalk.

other specimens (zone 8a):

1) Brandy Boy. Usually gets about 8' by the solstice, but also grows wide. The cage is nice to tie off to with big branches and heavy fruit.

2) Cherokee Purple. Usually gets about 7.5" by the solstice (a tad less than BB).

3) Supersteak Hybrid. I am not growing this year, but is a prolific grower 8+ and puts off monster 2lb perfect softball toms.

4) Many others seem to get in that range. Not a fan of Big Beef or Better Boy. Both due well here but are generic to this area. Everyone and their momma grows those and not best in taste to me. Figure most grow b/c of the widespread disease and those hold up better than others.

IMO, it changes season to season and soil condition. If heavy fert. - I guess most can get large. Probably depends on the zone and weather to large degree too.

I personally like the TTC, easy setup, easy storage (or just leave outside) and not a rusty mess. The t-post will be enuff of an anchor, so don't feel inclined to stab the TTC all the way down - just enuff to "grab" some dirt.

Then again, I'm no expert. I look forward to your experiment this year and congrats on the TTC. I think you will like them and they will last. The real joy comes when everything is in full swing and you can trim back to avoid a convoluted mess.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #29
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I love my Texas cages--they don't rust AND they fold for easy storage. After years of struggling to roll up my numerous rusted concrete reinforcement cages, I just wish I knew about them when I first started out. They'll last forever so I could've gotten more use out of them!
How about KBX or Kelloggs Breakfast?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #30
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

If you don't mind a hybrid Roma style paste, I would recommend Granadero F1 from Johnny's selected seeds.

Tops out my 8' bamboo stakes every year, produces into the fall with a great flavor for saucing, if you are so inclined.

This is the only hybrid and Roma I ever grow, and it never lets me down. Eight seasons strong now.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote