Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 21, 2018   #1
Hervey
Tomatovillian™

Default Any ideas/diagnosis about this wilting?

First noticed this about four days ago. Little Lucky grafted onto Estamino. Three other nearby plants are so far fine, one of which is likewise grafted onto Estamino.

Last year a Big Beef grafted on Estamino did the exact same thing in the exact same spot! It was the only plant that went down like this. This spot is cursed. Last year I pulled it and split the stem and saw nothing unusual. But I am new at this. Last year it did not respond to more water.

I have 30 other plants in the garden that appear fine.

Thoughts on what it is would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I'm out of town for the next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2601.jpg (647.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2602.jpg (642.7 KB, 82 views)
Hervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018   #2
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yikes!
That has happened twice here. One was a big pot that I missed... it did not have
any drainage....A new pot. Big storm and it was flooded. Wet feet big time. Floating.
Happened overnight on a healthy plant. (I drained it by drilling holes and it recovered)

The other time a tom was fed with an end of the container 'food' that was extremely
unbalanced. I took note at the time and hesitated but fed that pot anyway. Suffered
immediately. I doubt you have clogged drainage or feeding issues...
TexasTfood. (not a fan) It settles and not an even food even if shaken big time.
(maybe I was sent old stock)

So, no clue, but very odd. At least check any clog in your drain holes. Or feel for overly
wet soil.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #3
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Are your drip emitters plugged, how about a gopher or something getting to the roots?
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #4
Hervey
Tomatovillian™

I checked the emitters and they're fine.

No gophers in my area.

Thanks for the responses. Anyone else?
Hervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #5
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I've had something similar, it took about 4 or 5 days and it came back to life, like nothing ever happened, I've read something somewhere what it was,but I don't remember now exactly what it is that causes it,
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It looks like Bacterial wilt to me. I would pour a gallon or two of a 10% bleach solution in that spot and leave it for a while before replanting there. It should be okay to use that spot again in a few weeks if that is what it is.

I like the Estamino root stock but it doesn't have resistance to Bacterial wilt in my experience. The only root stock that I know that is resistant to BW is RST-04-106-T. I now use it on most of my plants and in three years have not had a single plant fall to BW that was grafted onto that root stock. In the past I had at least a few plants and sometimes more fall to it every year especially after a good rainy spell when it was hot.

You can cut a main stem off of the wilted plant and put it in a glass of water and if a white milky substance oozes out into the water from where the stem is cut then it is Bacterial wilt.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
It looks like Bacterial wilt to me. I would pour a gallon or two of a 10% bleach solution in that spot and leave it for a while before replanting there. It should be okay to use that spot again in a few weeks if that is what it is.

I like the Estamino root stock but it doesn't have resistance to Bacterial wilt in my experience. The only root stock that I know that is resistant to BW is RST-04-106-T. I now use it on most of my plants and in three years have not had a single plant fall to BW that was grafted onto that root stock. In the past I had at least a few plants and sometimes more fall to it every year especially after a good rainy spell when it was hot.

You can cut a main stem off of the wilted plant and put it in a glass of water and if a white milky substance oozes out into the water from where the stem is cut then it is Bacterial wilt.

Bill
Yes bacterial wilt so sorry. Incureable, and stays in the soil for years. Just one if the reasons I grow in pots with a barrier layer of plastic between them and my native soil
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote