Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 2, 2012   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Cardoon- how invasive are they?

I started some cardoons, wanting to try them because I had such success with artichokes last spring. I didn't realize they were an invasive. Before I make a big mistake and plant them in the ground I thought I'd ask just how invasive exactly are they?
I'm planning to plant a bunch of artichokes and thought I would do a couple of cardoons, but I'll toss them if they're really bad.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2012   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'd avoid them if I were anywhere around wildlands. I've seen artichokes/cardoons taking over unmanaged areas. In the garden, they're ok.

I got one plant at a plant exchange and grew it for several years. I never did get around to blanching the stems, so I never ate it. But I really enjoyed the flowers and let it bloom on 4-5 ft. stems every year. The spent stalks contributed lots of biomass to my compost bins. The clump slowly increased every year. It went dormant in the winter and each spring I saw more plants emerge. Then, one year, I wanted to plant something else in that spot, so I dug it all up. I have good soil (several years of added compost) and it was easy to remove. It never came back. And I don't recall much (or any) self-seeding.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2012   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I didn't have a camera when I was growing cardoons, so here's a photo of an artichoke flower, which is similar. Cardoons are even larger and fluffier, without the green "petals" that artichokes have. On further reflection, my cardoons were more like 5-6 ft. high or more, with lots of branches, so I typically had at least a dozen flowers in bloom at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1427.jpg (335.1 KB, 96 views)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've had artichokes and they are well behaved. I think we'd enjoy eating cardoons and I guess we could just brush hog the extras. Thinking about giving them an area where they can fight with the bamboo for space.
I love growing artichokes so I think I'll try growing both, starting now and planting this fall.
I've heard that the plants pull minerals up from deep like compared and make phenomenal compost. Plus, I know artichokes are great good but attractors so I assume cardoons would be good,too.
For those in zone 7-8, anybody have favorite varieties? I've only grown Tavor and Green Globe, both were quite nice and productive.
Old June 24, 2015   #5
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

What does "brush hog" mean?
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Brush Hog is a mower behind a tractor. Also known as a Bush Hog. I don't know the difference in names, but it basically means the same. A 5' mower with huge blades propelled by a PTO pulled by a tractor (Not a riding mower).
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #7
flgatorguy87
Tomatovillian™

Guessing it is "bush hog" which is a brand of mower that is pulled behind a tractor and engaged with a PTO shaft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #8
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Thank you both. I'd never heard that term before.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it is the PTO driven mower. It is a brand "bush hog" but many, at least from the area I spent a lot of time, called it brush hogging. Or, bush hogging, as in using a bush hog to mow. Also called a rotary cutter, I believe.
Old July 21, 2015   #10
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

A friend took me to the local zoo recently and there were several cardoon blooming. The fragrance was lovely and they were covered in bumblies. I would like to grow some in the future.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #11
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Frankly, while I've never grown them myself, I have friends who have, & have NEVER heard cardoons (or artichokes for that matter) being termed in any way "invasive" at all.