Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 21, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Okra question

I have beans growing in the raised bed where I will eventually plant okra. I would normally start seed by direct sowing at about this time. The beans wont be done for another month or so and I am thinking about starting okra seed in small containers and then transplanting once I pull the beans. Does okra transplant ok or am I better off just waiting and direct sowing?
Old April 21, 2009   #2
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

From what I have read okra does not like to have its roots disturbed, thus it is not really a good transplanter.

Now with that being said, I am going to start some dwarf okra for my frontyard landscape tonight. I am taking the chance.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2009   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I've started mine indoors in three inch pots the last two years. They should do fine as long as the soil is pretty warm when you move them out. As you know, they're not fragile plants. I start mine about five weeks before I intend to set them in the garden. I soak the seeds overnight first. They grow quickly in the house, around 70 degrees. The last week is spent hardening off on the patio.
Old April 21, 2009   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I had read the same thing but thought I might get away with it if I used a bigger pot so there is no chance of the roots getting rootbound. I have plenty of seeds so I guess I will try it and if it doesnt work I can still direct sow. Temps are no problem at this point
Old April 21, 2009   #5
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I have always started mine in 3” peat pots. When it is time to plant out I tear off the pot and stick them in the ground. I’m glad I didn’t read they didn’t like to have their roots disturbed or I would have worried.
Old April 21, 2009   #6
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

JerryL,

I am starting mine for just that reason. I had heard beans and cucumbers did not like to have roots disturbed either and both of those have transplanted well for me.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2009   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

They sell cuke transplants at the local nurseries, I have never bothered with transplanting cukes because of my climate,really no need. I will try transplanting the okra as I have nothing to lose. I would like the head start it would give me if it does work out
Old April 23, 2009   #8
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

duajones,
I planted okra in 2" cells and it did not transplant well, however I also set it out too early. Okra does not like cool weather, I did see some okra plants at the feed store yesterday. I would go with the larger pots as these other guys have done, they seem to be much more sucessful than I have been. I am planting in the ground today.

good luck,
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2009   #9
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hi All,

I'm sending you this link, because this is how I learned to grow Okra (in 2004). I was living in upstate NY at the time, in Zone 5.

I've modified my technique since then; but I have started them in the Ferry Morse peat pots that are 3 inches with no problems.

When using peat pots; I've learned to use h2o2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) "Regular Household strength" that you get at any pharmacy, in with the watering so the peat pots don't develop any mold on the sides; it will help the Okra seeds anyway. One USA Tablespoon to 16 Ounces of water - warm or room temperature. Don't use warm faucet water. Use cold tap water; warmed up in a pot. If the water gets to boiling, let it cool down to warm or add enough ice cubes to cool it down some if you don't have time to wait. You should use a fan on them anyway to keep the seedlings' stem strong.

The thing is to soak them overnight in warm water - I used a small thermos to keep the water warm all night long (12 hours). Those seeds are big enough to use a thermos for this.

Growing Okra

HTH,
~* Robin
Old April 23, 2009   #10
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

I always plant directly in the ground and never had a problem.
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2009   #11
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Has your ground ever frozen down to -10 to -20 degrees? Then by May 15th it's up in temps just enough that you can break the soil down to 5-6 inches only? Then only by mid June you can stick a pitch fork in it?

By then, in the Last week of June all your plants could freeze in 1 to 2 days while a late frost passes through. So there's only July, August and possibly a smidgen of September; if the temps stay warm till "Indian Summer" hits (if it does at all).

Okra wants a long warm/hot season so getting them in peat pots (even the 5 inch ones) is the only way most Northerners can do it. Mine were nearly 3 months old at the time, under lights, well fed, watered and tall above the knee most of the time; before putting them out.

~* Robin
Old April 25, 2009   #12
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I tried growing okra seedlings last year and had great success transplanting them into my beds once it got warm enough.
Old April 29, 2009   #13
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Sowed seeds into pots this morning, will see how it goes.
Old April 29, 2009   #14
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I had 7 plants at one time. Way to many.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #15
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
I had 7 plants at one time. Way to many.
Robin,

Were they big plants or small ones? Too many Okra pods? I'm guessing they were very productive.

~* Robin