Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old August 26, 2016   #16
TommyTime
Tomatovillian™

Hey Guru and Ricky, I'll be there tomorrow - looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for bringing seeds! I'll be wearing a hat with a tomato on it
TommyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016   #17
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Boonie hat, long-sleeve white tee, crocs, the summer uniform.

This cold rainy weather is wrecking me, none of my good stuff is coming ripe at the right time. Next year I'm having at least 5 plants each of Rebel Yell and Crnkovic Yugoslavian, they've got a real shot at winning and both are excellent producers for me.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016   #18
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Denim shirt w/"I love Gardening" on the back.

I'll be bringing tomatoes to share - in case you want seeds, etc.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #19
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Results are up and made made top ten with my Malachite Box and Brandy Boy. It's something to build on, next year that crown's coming home to Tomatoville.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makeover186.jpg (273.2 KB, 112 views)
Old June 23, 2017   #20
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Sept. 9: Taste of Tomato: a tomato tasting festival; CSU Co-op Extension with Harlequin’s Gardens; Held at Gateway Park. 9-1 Boulder, CO

In past years the event has been the last Saturday in August. The plus is some late to mature varieties will have fully ripened and more tomatoes can be entered. The downside is often we chilling cold fronts move through in early September and the low 50's temps will change the flavor and texture of the tomatoes.

Also, the Denver Post is coming out this morning to take pictures of the garden and do an article on seed saving. Specifically, the oxiclean quick method.
Old June 28, 2017   #21
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear the Tomato Tasting will be held again. I'm planning on being there and hope to bring some new-to-me varieties. It all depends on Mother Nature.
Old June 30, 2017   #22
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Ricky Shaw's tomato seed saving method has been written up in the Denver Post "Grow" section on June 30, 2017. Congrats to being written up for this newspaper!
Old June 30, 2017   #23
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

My method huh? I'll have to go back and read that, told them the alternative oxiclean and hyd peroxide/ baking soda methods been around a long time. #fakenews
Old July 1, 2017   #24
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

It's a pretty good article for anyone interested, more than just tomatoes, my bit was small.

"How to save seeds from your Colorado garden."

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/30/how-to-save-seeds-from-your-colorado-garden/
Old September 7, 2017   #25
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Sept. 9: Taste of Tomato: a tomato tasting festival; CSU Co-op Extension with Harlequin’s Gardens; Held at Gateway Park. 10-1 Boulder, CO

Don't forget the tomato tasting this Saturday!
Old September 9, 2017   #26
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Hey guru, sadly we're not going to make it this year. Lost lots of plants to mold this year, but still enough Crnkovic, Eva Purple Ball, and Sungold to make entries and free admission. It's that the wife has been very ill and can't attend, I can't imagine it would be any fun without her. My heart is not in the garden this year.
Old September 12, 2017   #27
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Ricky - I'm so sorry that your wife is not feeling her best. It's hard to enjoy something when you're just half-hearted and feeling lousy. IMHO, this year was not the best Tasting Time for anyone's tomatoes. Many of them were not quite ripe and tasted like our wonderful red winter tomatoes, hard and tasteless. There also seemed to be fewer people bringing their tomatoes. There was a 'farmer's market' of sorts - Thistle Whistle Farms from Hotchkiss, a friend of Harlequin's owner. He had some nice stuff, but charged and arm and 2 legs for whatever he had. I did buy one 'tomato pepper' for $8/lb. I hope to grow it next year.
The tasting went OK, though I really only liked one tomato - Dwarf Purple Heart.

I don't think this is the best year for tomatoes. Maybe next year.

Give your wife special hugs to help heal.