Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old June 8, 2018   #826
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Dear tomato folks,

Now that Stan and I are officially retired, we are pondering on stopping the seed sales activities.

The hard work involved in collecting the seeds from hundreds and thousands varieties, fermenting, testing, cataloging, packing, mailing is not going to pay our living expenses. It has been a wonderful hobby from the start, and it is very clear that producing small quantities of seeds for sale for thousands tomato varieties is not profitable, and it is a full time job.

Of course, this is a very big decision, and we will be thinking about it this summer, before making a decision.

We will of course continue to raise tomatoes and save some seeds, as this continues to be a passion of our life.

Thank you so much for your support and kind words.

We will likely be continuing our poultry operation. https://www.facebook.com/HuggingRoosters/

Cheers,
Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #827
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Decide what is right for you. Just know that you are the best!
Old June 8, 2018   #828
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello Tatiana

I completely understand what we do in protecting historical vegetables and Tomatoes is a passion from our soul that does not add to our finances. So I understand. With all the work and research I have completed over the years to Farm and Grow Natives Americans Fruits and Vegetables they taught my Great Great Grandfather to survive with as he travels to Fort Monroe for his Freedom as A contraband Slave, has helped my town of Hampton to dedicate a Bridge leading to Fort Monroe to the Contraband Slaves. That was a happy Day for my husband and self, as we too decided to end our research with the Native Americans, about the food history. Many Native Americans through my people have forgotten how they help us during slavery here in America. I will miss all the times I spend with Hawaiian Natives, helping them to lobby for their Bills in Congress over the last 4 years that did not Pass. But, at less the Native Americans Know that the American People Loves Them. Since Hawaii is taken back her land on the Big Island, I pray that the Hawaiian Natives People get the Respect and help they need to afford they Own land. I pray for all the families in the path of the Lava Flow and hope they all put forth Safety First and Trust in Our Government to help them rebuild their lives.

I will miss my research too, Amen!!!

Farmer Joyce Beggs

MrsJustice

Last edited by MrsJustice; June 8, 2018 at 03:46 PM.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #829
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Tatiana, what you've done has been incredible. Sometimes the best thing to do is to stop something for the right reasons - and it seems as though that is where you've journeyed to.

May the direction you take work out well for you and Stan...and thanks for all you did to support our dwarf breeding project!
Old June 9, 2018   #830
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Health and happiness in all of your future plans. I thank you for the wealth of knowledge amassed and wish you well.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2018   #831
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Hugs Tania, I am hoping the best for you and Stan.
Old June 9, 2018   #832
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

oh No !

People got to retire .....

understandable ......

but what a huge space left in the Tomato universe .....

Enjoy a healthy and happy retirement ....

your site is indispensable......

what will we do ?
Old June 9, 2018   #833
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Bless you on the next stage of your life. Fully understandable, although we all will miss your seed site greatly. So many great varieties. Hopefully you'll find the time and energy to maintain the information database ..?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2018   #834
bower
Tomatovillian™

Tania, your birds are absolutely gorgeous, and I'm so glad that you're finding it worthwhile as a business in addition to the personal joy. It is sad that the tomato seed business is not economically viable. I hope you can find the right slice of "tomato hobby" that's a perfect fit for this stage of your lives. Everything you've done already, is a lasting legacy... we do appreciate so much what you've done for the tomativerse!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2018   #835
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Dear tomato folks,

Now that Stan and I are officially retired, we are pondering on stopping the seed sales activities.

The hard work involved in collecting the seeds from hundreds and thousands varieties, fermenting, testing, cataloging, packing, mailing is not going to pay our living expenses. It has been a wonderful hobby from the start, and it is very clear that producing small quantities of seeds for sale for thousands tomato varieties is not profitable, and it is a full time job.

Of course, this is a very big decision, and we will be thinking about it this summer, before making a decision.

We will of course continue to raise tomatoes and save some seeds, as this continues to be a passion of our life.

Thank you so much for your support and kind words.

We will likely be continuing our poultry operation. https://www.facebook.com/HuggingRoosters/

Cheers,
Tatiana
I'm getting to Tville very late today and here's why,don't laugh too much. There's a place called White Flower Farm where they send tomato plants,shrubs,bushes of everything. So I get this e-mail this AM from their customer service saying they haven't heard back from me.

Fact is I never contacted them although I know of them.Then I realized, believe it or not that there is another Carolyn Male who owned a restaurant in Saratoga Springs,she took out loans to keep going,couldn't pay them off then I, the REAL Carolyn Male get contacted by bank loan collectors threatening me with a court appearance if I don't pay up. This all happened years ago,until this his AM when it got revived. So I sent WFF,their customer service, a Google link proving I was the WRONG Carolyn Male, and hope that's that.

Sheesh,what a day,my parents should never have named me Carolyn Joan Male.

All to say ,Tania, I'm actually delighted to hear you will be retiring from the seed business as long as you promise me you will always keep your outstanding data base and perhaps it will give you more time to update that as well since I know you haven't had as much time as you'd like to do all you want to do with your database.

About the chickens. Go for it and why not contact Glenn Drowns he's a huge bird person in terms of all the different breeds he's trying to preserve from extinction and see if you can somehow exchange chickens.

All I know is that we had Rhode Island Reds and mom would say go up to the hen house and get the eggs,I did,BUT they would peck my hands and several times drew blood.

You are an excellent cook so why not start sending care packages to your two sons,they would love that I'm sure.

And I LOVE dark chocolate as many know and I hope you do as well and can tell you where to order some in Oregon for Both you and me.

All to say,I already have lots of coloring books and crayons and glitter pens that I'm looking forward to soon( ETD not known) yet,and several have themes,I didn't check to see if any have a chicken themed ones though.

Carolyn,the REAL Carolyn.
Old June 10, 2018   #836
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Take it easy and enjoy having time to yourself. You have deserved it.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #837
Tomtato2
Tomatovillian™

I hope I can still buy some seeds this fall I was looking at around ten varieties or more I wanted to buy from you guys ?
Tomtato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #838
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Best of luck in whatever you do! And thank you!

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #839
Geezer
Tomatovillian™

It's sad to think of losing what we had, but we need to remember we were danged lucky to have what we had as long as we had it!

Tania, thank you for all of the hard work that so many of us have benefited from. Please continue to plant tomatoes and peppers, but from now on for your enjoyment. Also, please continue to hang around here. You are a treasured resource here just as you are!

Geezer
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #840
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtato2 View Post
I hope I can still buy some seeds this fall I was looking at around ten varieties or more I wanted to buy from you guys ?
Yes, I'm thinking I ought to soon order the few varieties I want to try before.....

All the best to you and yours Tania.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote