Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 19, 2011   #91
strax
Tomatovillian™

tatiana,

it is loading fine now. so it was prolly just a temp problem.

thanks for all the work you put into your site. it has become my go-to site for tomato info. hopefully, i will have some good pictures to contribute this year. I have a nice pic of cream sausage somewhere, but i cant find it, lol.

strax
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2011   #92
Tania
Tomatovillian™

strax,

thank you!

Perhaps it was a temporary network issue, or our server was under peak load at that time (maybe lots of folks wanted to see the new system...)

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; January 19, 2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2011   #93
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Looks very nice. Great job.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2011   #94
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Dear All,

My son fixed some bugs and added Previous/Next button to navigate between the pages, and he added another filter 'Fruit Shape'. I realize the system still have some usability issues (i.e. fruit colors are listed alphabetically and not grouped logically - like Black/Brown/Purple or Orange/Yellow; there are way too many shapes in the drop down box to choose from to be useful, etc), but we rolled it out anyway, as the new system is an improvement over the old one.

I am hoping we can continue to enhance usability over the next few weeks.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old January 24, 2011   #95
happydog
Tomatovillian™

I really like it. It wasn't slow at all for me. Prices are good and the free shipping is a nice touch; that should win customers. (Really, who is ever gonna order less than 8 packs of seeds, lol.)

I love how you have all the varieties listed on a pull down menu on the checkout page. Sometimes I may not be looking for a particular tomato but if I see a familiar or interesting name, I'll go take a look. And then of course it hops into my cart...

If you could add that feature BEFORE checkout it might raise sales. Personally I like browsing from a list. It's faster than going through the alphabet buttons (I'd lose interest before I ever got to Zogola) and easier than searching for a particular tomato. It also exposes more of your product to the customer.

I like the idea of early, mid, and late varieties. That should increase sales too because gosh, who wants a gap in their tomatoes??

I like the "hidden" links to the info page (I'd let customers know. It's a nice feature) but when it takes you there accidentally it needs to be more clear how to get back. Especially when you click on an item in your cart and it inexplicably takes you to the info page and drops you.

You might want to put a big BUY ME or ADD TO CART button on the varieties where seed is available to purchase. It's fantastic that you can learn all about a variety AND THEN BUY IT RIGHT AWAY. Love that! Great for those of us with short attention spans and poor impulse control.

Anyhow, I hope it's wildly successful. I'll be shopping there.
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #96
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Hello, Tania

I'm Sandra from New York State and I ordered from you this year just received my order about a week or so ago. I could have ordered a bunch more but 20 varieties should see me through the season.

I like the way you list the paste types (which were the ones I was mostly buying) in that you also give your own commentary such as, "not really a paste type, too juicy" which was very helpful. I want paste types that I don't have to cook down for hours but I want good flavor.

Here's the ones I ordered:

Amish Paste
Anna Russian
Bashkirskiy Krasavets
Dagestanskiy
Ernesto
Fidelio
German Red Strawberry
Howard German
Justine
Justine Heart
Palestinian
Polish Linguisa
Reif Red Heart
Rinaldo
Rosalie's Early Orange
Russian 117
Sister Miriam
Slankard's
Spadaro
Ukrainian Heart

We just used our last freezer packaged sauce from last year so I plan on making more this coming season!
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #97
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Spadaro

I was reading down through your list and when I saw Spadaro I was so pleased b'c I don't see it on many growout lists at all.

And yes, I'm the Carolyn who first introduced it and I don't live in Latham anymore, I moved to Salem, only about an hour north when I had to retire in 1999.

I'm thinking back now and I'm pretty sure that Joe Huth, from whom I got the seeds, was the manager of a large store in Menands, NY, where the large Menands market was and probably still is. It's where the local farmers appear before 5AM and wait in line and at 5 AM when the gates were opened there was a mad dash, not too much different from a mini-NASCAR race, to the long shed where the trucks would be backed in.

The wholsalers would then walk down through the main aisle and buy from the farmers.

This large store I'm talking about sold everything having to do with gardening and was also the local retail outlet for Harris Seeds but when I was very little the Harris "man" , from Rochester, visited each farmer and took the orders that way.

I'm the farmer's daughter and many times I was in the truck with my dad going to market b'c his back often went out and I had to jump up on the truck and haul the baskets of whatever, tomatoes, peppers, you name it, to the back so that the wholsalers could see them.

Thanks for giving me such a good memories.

In the 2011 SSE YEarbook only one person lists it, seeds from Neil L and I know Craig L has grown it as well and likes it. There used to be quite a few foks who grew it and relisted it years ago, but sadly these days most just request seeds, grow the varieties and don't relist so varieties disappear unless SSE itself offers them.

I just mentioned Neil L and he just called me asking for Craig's address to send seeds of a new Reinhard Kraft one so I would have a plant b/c I'm the one who told Neil about it in the first place; no sense Reinhard sending seeds for the same variety to two folks who know each other well.

And now for a quick shower before I watch my beloved tennis. It's not a bad obsession at all.

And the minute I mentioned Spadaro Neil said aha, the large pink heart ASAP.
Old February 25, 2011   #98
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Amish Paste
Anna Russian
Bashkirskiy Krasavets
Dagestanskiy
Ernesto
Fidelio
German Red Strawberry
Howard German
Justine
Justine Heart
Palestinian
Polish Linguisa
Reif Red Heart
Rinaldo
Rosalie's Early Orange
Russian 117
Sister Miriam
Slankard's
Spadaro
Ukrainian Heart
Half of those I don't even have...

But then my main focus this season are hearts and potato-leaved varieties.
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011   #99
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post

Poor Earl, he doesn't have half of those on the list.

Ok Earl, there are about 6000 or so varieties now available commercially, and many in the SSE YEarbook that aren't available commercially, and Tania has pages for about 3000 plus varieties, not all of which are available commercially. And that's not counting what's listed in some seed banks and at Tomodori and from Tomodori to Venmarin with listings for about 10K, but most of those don't sell seeds, actually none of them, so don't worry about the miney aspect.

So what's your goal in terms of numbers of varieties you have access to until you can get to the point where you can say you've them ALL.

Just can't help myself here, but then I'm near the end of my tomato growing days as I see it, I see you in the middle, you're at least younger than I am and I'm sure the young turks will, having started younger, surpass all of us with time.
Old February 26, 2011   #100
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Hi Sandra

I hope you will like these tomatoes and can make lots of tasty sauce in 2011!

Thank you for buying seeds from me.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old March 3, 2011   #101
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Hi Sandra

I hope you will like these tomatoes and can make lots of tasty sauce in 2011!

Thank you for buying seeds from me.

Tania
You're welcome, Tania, your service is highly recommended for fast, accurate delivery but the most compelling reason it's such a pleasure to do business is the time you take to give intimate knowledge of your product.

There are many companies that sell tomato seed and the descriptions given at many such places is usually 'cut & paste'. It seems the same information is handed down and no personal experience is given by the sellers as to taste and performance. With you, it's apparent that you actually love tomatoes and that you appreciate each tomato's history.

carolyn137
Quote:
Thanks for giving me such a good memories.
Thank you, for sharing those memories, Carolyn, I think I would love to spend every waking hour at such a place as Menands market. A friend of mine who was born and raised in NYC spoke of how her father worked at the fish market there and relates stories of the daily hustle and bustle, both of your happy memories sound very much alike. The only similar personal experience for me was when I went to horse shows and the excitement level of activity going on all around as we prepared our horses for each class.

Carolyn, you might not be growing tomatoes on the grand scale that you have in the past but I hope that you'll always have a few of your favorite tomatoes to grow each year maybe with a bit of help. I wish you all the best.....and plenty of tennis!

OneoftheEarls
Quote:
Earl, I will try very hard this year to keep a more detailed garden diary and give a detailed account to production, taste and general qualities of each variety. As Carolyn as said many times in the past 'taste is subjective' my goals this year are growing tomatoes mainly for sauce production. I am interested in the heart types too because I think they hold the best qualities for not only having solid fruits with few seeds but they are also good as a slicing tomato.

The link that Carolyn provided for Spadaro--did you see the picture Tania has there of the unsliced ripe one on a plate--isn't that a beautiful tomato!?! But more than just beauty it's the description given by all the growers they all seem to rated this one highly--and I want to thank you, Carolyn for having the foresight to save and pass on the seeds of this fabulous tomato.

I took a lot of time this year studying each tomato on my list while keeping my goals in mind. I'm hoping for a good tomato growing season and wishing the same to all of you.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011   #102
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

The TBase is an awesome resoure! And boy is it refreshing to read honest desciptions of tastes instead of "delicious" or "great balance" for every variety.
Old May 11, 2011   #103
RickCorey
Tomatovillian™

Default Is Tatianastomatobase website down?

Is Tatianastomatobase website down? I haven't been able to get into it for several days now.

This is the link I usually used, but lately I've been trying via Google search in case there was a name-change.

It's a GREAT site! Thank you, Tania!

Corey
RickCorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011   #104
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default Tania's site

Worked okay for me.

Neil G. (Canada)
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011   #105
RickCorey
Tomatovillian™

Hmm! Thanks.

Our IT department is very strict about anything that might be racy, but Tomatoes?

Are you using the same link I posted?
RickCorey is offline   Reply With Quote