Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old March 24, 2018   #6136
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I tried the Mayocoba beans and did like them, but I still prefer the consistancy of the pinto beans over the Mayocoba beans. Taste would be about even between the two with both tasting different.

I've cooked pintos with ham, bacon, smoked pork, smoked pork shank and a few other things. Recently, I've been cooking them with nothing but a few seasonings and no added meat flavors. I think I like them best this way. We will be having quite a few people for Easter dinner and my plain pinto beans have been requested by a few who I have shared with in the past. I have a habit of sharing pinto beans and jalapeno corn bread with family and friends.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #6137
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Sue, it was easy and was very good.

Hellmans, that breakfast looks good. I went the easy route this morning. 4 over easy banty eggs over rice with fresh cracked black pepper.

Worth I've never used vinegar in Pico, I like it with EVOO and lime juice along with salt and pepper. I like to make it a few hours ahead to let the juices meld together.

When I lived closer to the water I used to grill redfish on the halfshell and after the fish cooked a little I would top it with pico to keep it moist. That was one of the best dishes you could make with a redfish.

Hardshell fish is just filleted off completely and cook it scales side down to protect the meat and make a vessel to serve it in, it also hold in juices. It's an awesome meal cooked on coals or smoked.
Old March 24, 2018   #6138
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Rajun,

Do you scale the fillets or cook them with the scales on? Other than blackened, I've never been much of a red fish fan. I've always considered them as almost a salt or brackish water carp. Your method sounds pretty good.
Old March 24, 2018   #6139
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I have eaten many "blackened" redfish, but not once were they ever done right, i.e., in a large cast iron skillet heated till white hot, and even then with the fish bearing a 1/4 inch coating of spices ...like the original
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #6140
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Leaves the scales on, just fillet it like normal except run the knife past the tail to cut it off.

If you think redfish taste like carp then you are not eating at the right places. It is a dense fish(red drum) that holds up to cooking but it doesn't have a fishy taste like other drum. Think of redfish as the saltwater bass and you can fish them the same way you fish for bass. If you catch a black drum that size in summer time they'll have worms in the meat, those are best to catch in early spring when the water is cool and just keep the 15"-20" fish. You do have to use redfish for different dishes depending on size, the bigger they get the worse the meat taste and it gets dense. I see people bragging about catching a 42" redfish but that is trash and should be released to breed. The best redfish are between 16" and 24", I let the rest go. The slot limit is 16"=27" here and a limit of 5 but you can keep 1 over 27" if that tells you something.
Old March 24, 2018   #6141
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Really not a big fan of blackened anything.
The idea of burning spices goes against my grain.
Worth
Old March 24, 2018   #6142
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Decided to let the pork belly plaits stew in their juices over night before cooking them.
The charro beans are looking good.

Worth
Old March 24, 2018   #6143
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Cheap drinking - Our almost 30 year old son mixed Fireball with some cheap Scotch. It smelled just like Juicy Fruit gum. Notice - I wrote that it smelled like it. I didn't try it. Just seeing the look on his face as he drank it was enough for me.
I like juicy fruit gum.
Old March 24, 2018   #6144
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Really not a big fan of blackened anything.
The idea of burning spices goes against my grain.
Worth
Paul Prudhomme knew how to burn the spices perfectly without tasting burned. Red Fish is the perfect fillet for blackening. You cooked both sides of the fillet with the bloodline removed. I didn't typically eat the smaller fish which didn't have a pronounced bloodline. Before they were designated a sport fish, the restaurants purchased larger, thicker fish with thicker fillets, but they sometimes had a muddy taste unless blackened. If I can purchase thicker Cod fillets, I like to sometimes blacken them. My taste buds consider "burned" a desirable flavor in many dishes. I prefer the burned ends of a well cooked brisket the best part. I also think the burned corners of a well cooked lasagna the best part. The small burned pieces of a whole hog cooked rotisserie style over a low wood fire are my favorite part.s

Last edited by DonDuck; March 24, 2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old March 24, 2018   #6145
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Paul Prudhomme knew how to burn the spices perfectly without tasting burned. Red Fish is the perfect fillet for blackening. You cooked both sides of the fillet with the bloodline removed. I didn't typically eat the smaller fish which didn't have a pronounced bloodline. Before they were designated a sport fish, the restaurants purchased larger thicker fish with thicker fillets, but they sometimes had a muddy taste unless blackened.
Exactly. Remember watching Paul, who invented the process, doing the blackening in the alley due to the smoke. After that, restaurants across the country promoted it, but I never had it done properly except on my own Cajun Cooker...outdoors. Ironically, that white hot skillet is the one and only way.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #6146
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I have eaten many "blackened" redfish, but not once were they ever done right, i.e., in a large cast iron skillet heated till white hot, and even then with the fish bearing a 1/4 inch coating of spices ...like the original
I heat the skillet in the oven to 425 F to get even heat throughout. I then put it on the range and place the fillets in the pan. They don't really need to burn, but achieve a brown color on both sides. They cook quickly. Turn the hood fan on or you will fill your house with fishy smelling smoke. Oil the pan well before heating it or the fillets will stick.
Old March 24, 2018   #6147
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Paul had a restaurant on the North side of Lafayette on highway 49 going towards Shreveport. When I lived in Louisiana, a small strip along that highway had some of the best "Cajun" restaurants in the country. Real Cajun food cooked by real Cajuns.
Old March 24, 2018   #6148
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Justine Wilson also did a pretty good job with blackened redfish.

Rajun,

I usually used live shrimp as fish bait knowing it was equally desired by both redfish and speckled trout. I really preferred eating specs over redfish.

Last edited by DonDuck; March 24, 2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old March 24, 2018   #6149
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

North Lafayette is Carencro. Ya'll talking about my back yard, he brought some Cajun to NO. His sister had a restaurant in Carencro for years. I have a copy of "The Prudhomme Family Cookbook" that his sister Enola signed for her grand kids. My Mom knew her well and it was a weekly visit with a few family members to eat and gossip. These are the things I love about my culture, there's more than I know and I find new information the older I get. Here's Enola's obit.
http://www.melanconfuneralhome.net/obituary/1381069

A little unknown fact Paul started the blackened redfish at the Hilton in Lafayette on the patio. The restaurant is on the Vermillion river and they have a big patio/dock that used to have tours. He cooked there a few nights a week testing the recipe. The boat tours were a drunk fest on a swamp ride only in the afternoons. Everyone went home happy and fat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26107924_10210527454412007_625088619_o.jpg (121.7 KB, 32 views)
Old March 24, 2018   #6150
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Meanwhile back to today's meal. I started late but made it work.

Worth, I added some electrician touches to the UDS. Those covers make a good baffle to control the intake air flow. It's still ugly but boy, does it hold temps perfect. I used acid to remove the galvanization/zinc so no worries there. I'll paint it pretty eventually when I'm done doing mods.

I cooked sweet potatoes, beef ribs, sausage and chicken halves. The ribs were falling apart goodness, big beef flavor!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1809.JPG (284.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1810.JPG (302.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1814.JPG (406.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1808.JPG (327.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1806.JPG (232.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1815.JPG (407.5 KB, 31 views)