Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old May 20, 2018   #6736
bower
Tomatovillian™

Worth, what are you doing with your chicken thighs? I am way bored with curry and need to change it up. I ate pizza and left the pack of thighs to thaw for later.
Hey I bought a lime!! Big fella by local standards.. a whole dollar of course. Now what to do with it....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #6737
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Chicken thighs, meet lime...

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018   #6738
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I'm so far behind on this thread. Below are just personal likes.

Imp, I saw where the mushrooms recipe called for a half a cup of bottled lemon juice. I wonder if fresh squeezed lemons would make any difference?
I'm kind of odd when it comes to mushrooms. I like raw button mushrooms - the earthy taste and crisp bite is what wakes up my taste buds. I haven't found those qualities in other types of mushrooms.

Worth, I like crawdad tails when cooked whole in Old Bay crab-boil or my own (Which I have not perfected.) I like the meat to taste almost raw, again it's the texture and earthy flavor.

Don, I am one of those who loves fried chicken livers, but nobody else in my family likes them. Unlike my responses above - fried chicken livers I prefer to no longer be red or pink inside. The other use is for fishing with chicken livers
Old May 21, 2018   #6739
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Worth, what are you doing with your chicken thighs? I am way bored with curry and need to change it up. I ate pizza and left the pack of thighs to thaw for later.
Hey I bought a lime!! Big fella by local standards.. a whole dollar of course. Now what to do with it....
I know you're somewhere in Newfoundland, Canada, but a dollar for "A" lime? If it's legal, I'll mail you bunch of them. Lol, it must be a huge lime. (Joking aside)

What not to do with a lime is a better question, and one I don't have an answer for. Use a lime in a marinade for any meat I can think of. Eat it raw, squeeze it into water or tea. Put the juice in salsa or picante sauce. Make a dessert with it. For me, lemons and limes have their own category - they wake up the sense of smell and taste, and adds acidity.
Old May 21, 2018   #6740
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I fried all of the thighs for lunch this week and supper last night.

Worth
Old May 21, 2018   #6741
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I'm so far behind on this thread. Below are just personal likes.

Imp, I saw where the mushrooms recipe called for a half a cup of bottled lemon juice. I wonder if fresh squeezed lemons would make any difference?
I'm kind of odd when it comes to mushrooms. I like raw button mushrooms - the earthy taste and crisp bite is what wakes up my taste buds. I haven't found those qualities in other types of mushrooms.

Worth, I like crawdad tails when cooked whole in Old Bay crab-boil or my own (Which I have not perfected.) I like the meat to taste almost raw, again it's the texture and earthy flavor.

Don, I am one of those who loves fried chicken livers, but nobody else in my family likes them. Unlike my responses above - fried chicken livers I prefer to no longer be red or pink inside. The other use is for fishing with chicken livers

Good question, Salt, the reason for using bottled lemon juice is acidity levels, fresh can vary quite a bit. So, for safe canning, one should use bottled lemon juice always, unless it is a recipe developed for fresh AND tested & approved for canning by the national agencies.

If one cans and doesn't follow an approved recipe, one takes a chance of making people ill or dead.

I used the button mushrooms, small as I could find, and halved/quartered the larger ones. Even with the 5 minute pre boil, the mushrooms did not turn out mushy or soggy after canning.

Oddly, I haven't really ever cared for the fancy or more unusual mushrooms, just like the small white or brown buttons myself.

Some of our tastes are similar, Salt, I like crawdads cooked right before I eat them and just cooked, like my shrimp, still with a bit of crunch to them. Though you can have all the livers, LOL, I hate liver with the once in awhile exception of Boar's Head liverwurst once in a great while ( and not too much of it then). Like chicken hearts and gizzards, but not the livers. I can still recall going to sleep at the table because I would not eat the liver; mashed potatoes make a weird pillow.

Last edited by imp; May 21, 2018 at 09:46 AM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6742
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I'm AlittleSalt, and I am addicted to needing some cheap eaten ideas for cooking up some grub during these hot months of summer. Ones that don't take a lot of time cooking and are friendly on the electric bill.

I know salads and sandwiches, and BBQ outside, (Notice I didn't write "Smoking" - My gag reflexes are at full force using oak for smoking - it's awful - so no smoking, and I'm not going to buy charcoal or hickory when I have a boatload of newly cut oak to use.) Wrap it in foil.
Any cheap eaten ideas for summer foods given the criteria written above?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6743
imp
Tomatovillian™

Peanut noodle salad, the link takes you to a google search with multiple recipes, some spicier than others. I like to add simple boiled shrimp to mine for protein, but you can also use chicken or chicken leftovers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pean...nt=firefox-b-1

Bowls of Pho or Ramen, where everyone can add in from bowls of goodies ( basil, greens, etc, to meats thinly sliced). Oddly, I like hot soup that has a clear ( er) broth when it is hot out at times.

More asian- rice paper rolls full of veggies and pretty yet easy to make. Make up a couple dipping sauces. Cut up fruit for a completely cold/cool meal.

Any of the cold soups (potato, borsht, gazpacho ) can be good with a crusty bread, maybe an herbed garlic toast? (Note if soups are to be served not at room temp or just cool, season a bit more aggressively as cold dulls the palate.)

Spaghetti ( or any noodle shape) with fresh tomato sauce; whir it up in a blender and barely heat it, finish the noodles in the sauce and serve with broiled garlic bread and salad of veggies.

Cold poached chicken. Poach a whole chicken the night before, cool it in the broth ( can be over night) and slice and serve the next day. Left overs can go into chicken tacos with some extra seasonings, or chicken salad in a roll. Stock can be used for Pho or Ramen or ???

My Mother called this Slum Gullion ( why I have no idea, but we all always loved this dish) It's macaroni, ground meat, onions, garlic, S&P and tomato sauce; veg can be added - she often added grated carrots.

Cheese quesadillas. Big flour tortillas, toasted in a lightly buttered pan, add cheese after you flip it the first time, fold over and cut and go. Can add various meats or onions if wanted, serve with salads and salsa, pickled vegs.

Both the spaghetti or the Slum Gullion can be reheated/fried until it browns and crisps up a bit the next day or skip a day. If you get a good browned crust on it, serve it by flipping it upside down on a plate or platter and serve it with sprinkled cheese on top, then cut it into wedges, call it a frittata.

Hash brown egg cups - these are really good, cheap if eggs are cheap. Can use frozen hash browns or fresh if potatoes are cheap, just shred and then squeeze them with a paper towel before using. You can make biscuits at the same time. Breakfast for dinner is always good.

https://www.marthastewart.com/872743/denver-omelet-cups

Shrimp ( if on sale) and cheddar grits. Salad or veg, bread, done.

Polenta with sauce and left over BBQ'd pork slightly shredded on top.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6744
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well I took Nan's advice, put the lime juice into my pot of chicken thigh stuff along with some frozen tomatoes. Seasoning was coriander, cumin, cayenne, garlic and basil, fresh cilantro added on serving. The lime is a nice taste there but a bit too subtle, it was not a juicy creature!! Instead rather dry.
Salt, if you mail me some limes I'll put more in next time.
My favorite summer meals involve meat that is cooked the night before (or on a cool day and then frozen for hot days ahead). And then into salads or sandwiches with fresh veggies.
Our supermarket sells boneless skinless chicken breast that goes on special periodically and then I get some in a big pack. I make the marinade in the pyrex cooking dish - bit of evoo, grated garlic, salt, cayenne pepper and fresh lemon juice. Stir it up with a fork then put the chicken breast in, turn em to coat all sides, then into the oven. Takes just minutes to put it on. Comes out very tender, freezes well, and perfect for serving cold, diced for salad or sliced for sandwich.
I've done the chicken breast with different marinades for variety - black pepper, red wine vinegar and oregano for example - and they all come out well.
Pork tenderloin is another meat that takes the flavor of marinade and serves up cold really well. You can freeze it in meal sized chunks and thaw it without reheating, it will be as tender as ever. Sesame oil in the marinade will give a smoky taste, very nice.
Potato salad is the other save for hot weather, that I try to get made before it gets hot! Make a big batch to last for several days. Very appealing when it's too hot to cook. Chop the potato to size right away for a really quick boil as well. Only ten minutes to cook cubed potato that will hold its shape and not mush. Boiling whole spuds is a waste of energy big time. I like lots of crunchy bits in my potato salad, apple, celery are faves, and a leafy herb like lovage, cilantro or parsely. For a quick dressing mix balsamic or apple cider vinegar with mayo + mustard, garlic, seasonings of choice.
Pasta salad is another thing I hardly eat in cold weather but very welcome in hot, especially with lots of guests in house. Again, not too much heating to prepare, just boiling the pasta - and we do a boiled dressing but that's minimal heating (oil vinegar salt pepper brown sugar garam masala mustard celery seed etc) - and use a can of nice beans instead of cooking them from scratch. (Well, the really intrepid cooks do boil up large lots of various beans and freeze the portions instead of cans, it depends how much/often you plan to eat em. I prefer the convenience of a can.) Pasta, beans, peppers and other chunky vegs that stay firm, I like chunks of cheese in it too. Stow in the fridge, the flavor improves over time as pasta takes up the dressing flavors.

Hot weather is the worst thing for appetite, but it sure helps if you open the fridge and see food all ready that needs no more cooking!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6745
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

We just call them "packets", brought to you by Cathasaigh, the same woman responsible for the dissemination of Post Office Spoonful tomatoes.

Use potatoes + whatever other veggies there are. In a large bowl, chop potatoes into french fry size, or slices. Cut strips of green pepper, cut corn off the cob, slice zucchini into discs, add green beans or snap peas as is, etc. Spray with cooking spray or use a little oil. Add salt & pepper and toss to coat.

Lay out a sheet of aluminum foil. Put a handful or two of the vegetable mixture into the middle. Seal all the edges up to prevent leakage. Put on grill or in oven. Cook till desired done-ness. Open packet onto plate, there may be juices.

Cooked packets can be put in ziploc bags (foil & all) & frozen for later.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6746
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

"Both the spaghetti or the Slum Gullion can be reheated/fried until it browns and crisps up a bit the next day or skip a day. If you get a good browned crust on it, serve it by flipping it upside down on a plate or platter and serve it with sprinkled cheese on top, then cut it into wedges, call it a frittata"

Actually, a real frittata makes a great summer dish. It's nothing but a thick, pan sized omelet which can be made with a variety of meats, vegetables, seasonings, and cheeses. Let your imagination run wild. My garden supplies most of the ingredients for our fritatas. When we had chickens, we had great fritatas with nothing purchased from the grocery store.

We also don't like to heat the house in the summer time by cooking with heat. Fritatas from the oven in the winter are great, but in the summer; we typically use a couple of those induction cookers which generate no heat in the house and the microwave. They do require induction capable pans, but they work great. We cook egg dishes low and slow after preheating the pan. If we use vegetables which may not get soft without over cooking the eggs like squash and zuchinni, we usually soften them a little in the microwave before adding them to the fritata.

Spaghetti fritatas are also great. Cook the spaghetti on the induction cooker, pour it into the flat pan and add the beaten eggs and mushrooms or anything you like. Top it with parmesan or any cheese you like or possibly coat the top with a simple marinara sauce like a pizza and then add the cheese.

Last edited by DonDuck; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:40 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6747
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

The wife and I bought one lb. of chopped BBQ brisket Sunday. We brought it home and had brisket sandwiches. My wife likes hers with just meat, chopped onions, and the bbq sauce that came with the brisket. I like mine loaded with onions, jalapeno slices, dill relish; and generous amounts of hot sauce. Monday we ate more of the brisket with pinto beans I had cooked, and frozen; and a small salad. Today, we ate the remainder of the brisket as a topping on giant salads with most of the salad coming from my garden. The brisket cost $16.00. Divided between six meals, it only cost $2.66 per meal. Anytime we both can eat a meal for slightly more than five bucks, I think of it as cheap eating.

Tomorrow, we will buy one of those giant rotisserie chickens from Sam's club for under five bucks. It will provide at least six meals since we freeze the breast meat separately for use in many different dishes and salads.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6748
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Don, check the sodium on that chicken. They inject it and that's why it tastes so good. Just letting everyone know if you're on a low sodium diet.

I made some juicy, sloppy burgers on sandwich bread with garden tomatoes and home fries. Comfort food from my childhood. That sauce is homemade ketchup using Mrs. Wages mix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2230.JPG (344.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6749
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Rajun, I will check the sodium content but neither my wife nor I are on low sodium. My wife adds salt to almost everything she eats. My taste buds are different. With the exception of the rare fried eggs, I never add salt to my food after it is served and I cook with very little salt in my dishes. Many of the seasonings I use are nothing but seasoned salt like Lawrey's or Tony Chachere's or Coconut, lime seasoning. I use them very gently in my dishes preferring to use cayenne powder or more pure seasonings.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6750
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Imp, Bower, and Nan - you all cook a lot of the same things I do in hot weather. The packets thing is fun. You can use about any kind of meat with the vegies of your choice. Jan put BBQ sauce in them once ... (Once) lol. Everything just tasted like BBQ sauce. We both learned from it and that's what's important. Steam cooks the food in those packets especially when adding meat with fat on it. So we used chicken breasts the next time with strips of fatty bacon and vegies...mmm.

We haven't done that in a while and I'd bet the kids would like them.