Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2018   #1
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Littlerock, CA
Posts: 217
Default What works for Squash bugs?

They seem to get worse every year, and I don't have the time to try picking them off the plants every day, they eventually get overwhelming.
They start on the summer squash, then move to the winter, then any cucurbits remaining. If all that is gone I may see them even on tomato plants.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™
 
imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas
Posts: 3,678
Default

Since I don't have nuclear war heads handy, I use Sevin dust if I get squash bugs. I don't like to use it, but sometimes it's go to a severe action or lose it all. I've tried a lot of other options, but if the squash bug population gets ahead of me, Sevin comes into play.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™
 
BigVanVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 3,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
They seem to get worse every year, and I don't have the time to try picking them off the plants every day, they eventually get overwhelming.
They start on the summer squash, then move to the winter, then any cucurbits remaining. If all that is gone I may see them even on tomato plants.
Nothing. Your only real option is something really poisonous, succession planting, or row covers and hand pollination. I don't know why they haven't created a parthenocarpic squash yet but until then, good luck.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™
 
clkeiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 3,658
Default

no idea if this will work or not but last year we bought nematodes and put on the garden. I also bought a bacteria to drench the seedlings with. there were good results with cucumber beetles so I am trying it on the squash to see if it helps there... otherwise just as BBV says.. nothin! and I mean NOTHIN' seems to kill them. I plant all Summer long. once a week I plant new seeds.
__________________
carolyn k
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™
 
kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zone 6b, PA
Posts: 5,547
Default

I hand pick bugs and remove eggs...every...single...day. Lucky to have the time to do it...I think!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™
 
clkeiper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 3,658
Default

If you choose to use sevin use it in the evening when the bees have gone way from the squash plants already. if you use it in the morning there will be bees on the flowers... being killed.
__________________
carolyn k
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #7
karla-
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Flower Mound, TX
Posts: 11
Default

I haven't found anything to stop their wrath. This year I'm going to try and wait them out and plant in late summer to try and avoid them. At least in Texas they seem to come in waves of destruction and then leave for good once they've taken my squash dreams with them.
karla- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #8
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™
 
tarpalsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 206
Default

. Pick the adults. Scrape the eggs, smash the nymphs by the handful, if I keep getting that stinking juice on me, I will turn into one. I already reek like one. Squash bug Woman. Like spider-Man! Only stinky, and not cool.
.
Yes, I agree. If you have to use the dreaded Seven, do it in the evening. Keep it (Seven) away from your night blooming plants if you can. Trellising long vining squash and gourds helps a little. I can't grow most Summer Squash because of the squash bugs. I had some luck with Tatume.
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #9
roper2008
Tomatovillian™
 
roper2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Bch, VA (7b)
Posts: 1,120
Default

I cannot grow zucchini because of the squash bugs. The one I can grow is Zucchino
Rampicante or Tromboncino. If you have the space, it's a good eating summer squash.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™
 
kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zone 6b, PA
Posts: 5,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpalsfan View Post
. Pick the adults. Scrape the eggs, smash the nymphs by the handful, if I keep getting that stinking juice on me, I will turn into one. I already reek like one. Squash bug Woman. Like spider-Man! Only stinky, and not cool.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #11
kath
Tomatovillian™
 
kath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: zone 6b, PA
Posts: 5,547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I cannot grow zucchini because of the squash bugs. The one I can grow is Zucchino
Rampicante or Tromboncino. If you have the space, it's a good eating summer squash.
This is true...the only zucchini that seems impervious. Oh, do you need space, though!!! And also like either preserving MANY of them or having MANY who love to receive them.
Grew them one season only and then decided my 60' x 60' fenced space wasn't nearly enough.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™
 
imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas
Posts: 3,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
If you choose to use sevin use it in the evening when the bees have gone way from the squash plants already. if you use it in the morning there will be bees on the flowers... being killed.
Thank you, carolyn, I forgot to post that part. Sevin kills everything, so use it at dusk and I keep it off any flowers/buds as well. It's serious stuff that needs to be used properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla- View Post
I haven't found anything to stop their wrath. This year I'm going to try and wait them out and plant in late summer to try and avoid them. At least in Texas they seem to come in waves of destruction and then leave for good once they've taken my squash dreams with them.
Up here, mine don't stop. I don't even know where they come from, no one gardens for a fair bit around me, but come they do and the rodeo is on. I start out picking them off and the eggs, too, destroying them. If they overwhelm my efforts then I go ballistic as I am not going to lose all my crop.

Maybe there are squash bug movies, showing humans as a Godzilla creature to the squash bugs as they sit around eating up the garden?!

I don't LIKE using major stuff and try to use the most lower effect things first, i.e.picking bugs and eggs ( with a hand held vacuum1 works great), or a tobacco juice spray, but sometimes I have a choice - lose it or use the rough stuff.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #13
roper2008
Tomatovillian™
 
roper2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Bch, VA (7b)
Posts: 1,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
This is true...the only zucchini that seems impervious. Oh, do you need space, though!!! And also like either preserving MANY of them or having MANY who love to receive them.
Grew them one season only and then decided my 60' x 60' fenced space wasn't nearly enough.
I plant 2, but don't get too many, like you. Seems like just enough. I have a big back
yard for city standards, 1/2 acre. I just let it sprawl, but still have to move some of
the vines that get in the mowing paths.

I'm going to try Yellow Crookneck(my favorite)in my front yard. One plant and see if
I can keep up with adult and eggs.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #14
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™
 
Goodloe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Steens, MS
Posts: 140
Default

"Squash bugs"...I don't grow squash; are y'all talking about what I call "stink bugs"? They show up in my tomato patch on occasion.
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #15
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™
 
brownrexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 860
Default

Squash bugs and Stink bugs are different. Squash bugs have narrower bodies than stink bugs although both emit an odor when crushed.

Squash bugs do not normally infest tomatoes only cucurbit crops.

Some organic methods of control would be to lay boards on the ground near the squash and flip them over in the morning and squish the adults that have hidden there overnight.

Remove mulch from around affected crops because squash bugs hide under the mulch.

Neem oil can be effective on the nymphs but not the adults. Of course Neem can also kill bees so you have to be careful with the flowers but Neem is not as worrisome to me as Sevin on my food.

Watch for eggs and tear off that part of the leaf and destroy it before they hatch. The eggs are too tough to smash.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★