Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 18, 2011   #1
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Default Violetto artichoke issue

Hi- I decided to try artichokes this year and bought a variety called Violetto from a reputable supplier. I planted 36 seeds in soil blocks and got the following: 2 good seedlings, 4 very weak seedlings, and the rest either did not germinate at all or showed only the edges of the cotyledons emerging. When I finally gave up and examined some of the partially emerged seedlings, I found the root tightly curled in a spiral inside the mostly-intact seed coat. It looked like the root had circled the seed the way a root bound plant does in a plastic pot.
The catalog from which I purchased these seeds clearly states that only about 70% of the seeds germinate, and about 20% of those will be off-type. My question for you is, if you have experience with artichokes, is this an unusual problem, or is it typical of artichokes? I have already requested a replacement of a different variety, but am still curious what you think. Thanks, Dave
davespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011   #2
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Artichokes germinate better in cold conditions. I soak the seeds in water overnight, put them in a bag with some moist potting mix and store in refrigerator. In about 10 days they start to germinate. I usually get more than 90% germination.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2011   #3
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Hi Marko- thanks for the info. I'll use that technique with the replacement seeds the company is sending and post the results. Thanks again! Dave
Old April 19, 2011   #4
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I've had very good results soaking the seeds and very poor without soaking.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2011   #5
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Artichokes germinate better in cold conditions. I soak the seeds in water overnight, put them in a bag with some moist potting mix and store in refrigerator. In about 10 days they start to germinate. I usually get more than 90% germination.
My replacement seeds should be here today, and I will definitely use your suggestions to germinate them. If the results are as good as you say (I'm sure they will be) I will write to the company I got the seeds from and suggest that they include those ideas in their literature and on their packaging. Again, I really appreciate your input! Dave
Old April 26, 2011   #6
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Well, I gave up too quickly. After the issues I *thought* I was having with the violetto seeds, I recycled the soil blocks and moved on. Sure enough, I've got several little artichokes coming up in squash and other plantings. Still only 11 out of 32 seeds germinated, but that's better than the 6 (2 strong and 4 weak) I thought I had. BTW, Territorial says that there will be a fairly high percentage of off-types, and that small and albino seedlings should be culled. I haven't seen any truly white plants, but I do have two seedlings that are sort of frosted looking, and both have irregularly shaped cotyledons. Anybody want to hazard a guess as to the quality of these seedlings? Dave