Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 7, 2017   #451
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Looks like we are all in the same boat, but I do it for myself only and am retired, so for those working and for income I get / feel your frustration and pain!
JR in PA i too started my plants too early. 1rst yr. for me - next year a week later (3/31 this year - 4/6/2018 next yr.)
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #452
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I am pretty new to it as well. I am right on the edge of 6B/7A according to various websites, and still trying to figure the right starting times for various crops. But my real problem is choosing what seedlings to compost and which to grow. Seems I just procrastinate, and keep them all.

These aren't all for me, but I'll have a bunch leftover. I went down to turn off the lights and quick counted trays. I think it must have been 21 trips. There are a couple more trays to the left. I like them better on the 3 racks outside.
http://imgur.com/a/0F6kt

JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #453
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Great looking plants! it's a bear! i am 6a or 6b too close to call. too many years (50) i have covered for frost - this yr the wife's flowers mostly, although i do have a few out in those milk container domes you may be able to pick up in the raised bed and the back space under the tree. So i guess i will put a few out each day and hopefully i haven't goofed again! frost maybe tonight but then a lot of nights above 45. but getting them out in cool/cold soil does no good anyway i have read????
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #454
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
JRinPA... I am moving flats of tomatoes in and out of the greenhouse daily now. I feel for you. It is too warm in the day they are growing like weeds and too cold at night to leave them out... sigh.
I feel ya!. Glad when everyone gets planted out! Pretty exciting to know you're getting close though!. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #455
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

its 6:12 and a little early to see well but it looks like white roofs across the street. 38 degrees so I prob go n na have to wash off all 76 pla nts. Bummer.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #456
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

A very serious frost. Neighbor loa ned me his sprayer. Hope no resulting damage.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #457
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Weather called for 39* as our low. Sun is up and we have 34*. I'm not sure if we dipped below 32*, but i'd guess we hit right at it over night. They're calling for the same temps tonight.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #458
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
A very serious frost. Neighbor loa ned me his sprayer. Hope no resulting damage.
Wish you the best. hopefully the plants will be ok with just a little leaf damage and bounce back when temps warm.
Old May 8, 2017   #459
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Here's a pic of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, yesterday. The flood wall is holding. The riverfront area would all be underwater without the wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capefloodwall.jpg (149.7 KB, 52 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #460
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Here's a pic of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, yesterday. The flood wall is holding. The riverfront area would all be underwater without the wall.
Cole, is the water still rising or receeding? The amounts of water the last couple of weeks is incredible.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #461
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It crested Saturday, so it has started to recede in that pic. There's a lot of concern about getting any more rain.

I live near the Big Muddy River, which flows into the Mississippi, and it is hitting historic flood levels right now. I don't remember the waters ever being this high.
Old May 8, 2017   #462
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Holy Cow!!! I knew there was a lot of rain out that way, but that picture is really telling. That wall was a great investment.
Old May 8, 2017   #463
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it was. I was just there a couple weeks ago. The brick building in the lower right of the pic is a microbrewery. Cape is trying to make the area more tourist-friendly. I saw a lot of old pics of the area. Before the flood wall, flooding was a regular occurrence for the riverfront businesses. I think that's why they built those buildings to have two stories, so they could move everything upstairs when it flooded.
Old May 8, 2017   #464
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It crested Saturday, so it has started to recede in that pic. There's a lot of concern about getting any more rain.

I live near the Big Muddy River, which flows into the Mississippi, and it is hitting historic flood levels right now. I don't remember the waters ever being this high.
When is the next chance of rain for the area? For us it is Thurday but only a reasonable amount of rain is expected. I would think that riverfront area would be a great place for development once they are confident they have the potential flooding problem under control.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #465
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Same here, I think, rain at the end of the week. NWS says thunderstorms, possible local flooding, but not too bad.

Murphysboro, IL, is the closest town to me that is on the Big Muddy River. Now I understand why the first houses that were built there were on the tops of the bluffs.