Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 3, 2017   #46
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This is complicated but I know it would work.
Get an air compressor and wire the valves to motion detectors.
Then pipe air nozzles to the garden spots.
When the cat or other critter triggers the device it will hiss like a snake.
Guaranteed to run off any critter around.

Worth
They already have ones you can buy on amazon. i use one on my countertop. the cats pretty much stay off now. occasionally they will be running around and jump up there but immediately get scared and hop down.

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2017   #47
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Anyone having issues with feral cats should call the local shelter and ask about a free Trap Neuter Return program. Most urban areas have one. They may even have volunteers who will trap for you and keep an eye on area populations to be sure they are healthy and not spreading disease to pets.

It's important to TNR because cats are territorial and by having healthy neutered cats you'll keep other unfixed cats from moving in. Fixed cats also do less damage from scratching and peeing everywhere and are generally more chill (less fighting too).

Unfortunately I'm in a rural area and the county decided to stop funding our program about four years ago, the dummies. It's now $50 a cat and we're one of the poorest counties in America. Yeah...lots of people can sure afford that $50 plus the trap. Hello population explosion!

Old March 3, 2017   #48
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
None of my cats ever hurt anything in the garden or did anything in it for some reason.
Sometimes Smokey wont go outside in the morning.
She sees something out there I cant see and wont go out.

Worth
It's likely she smells the pee from a dog, coyote, other predator, or another cat. I know my own cat would go nuts when the outdoor cats would pee right under his window. Finally caught the outdoor cat and got him fixed. Solved that problem!

If you want her to go outside and be safe from predators you can build her a little catio/kitty outdoor enclosure. Someday when I own a place I'm going to do one so my crew can go outside without having to worry about coyotes and owls.

About cat training:
I have some luck training my cats. They all come when I call them. (As long as they don't want to do something else more like eat! LOL!) They all play fetch. Two of them will jump up into my arms and will also do a long stretch up my leg (cat's version of begging/shake paw) when I tell them to. And I have the food stealer (Jynx) trained on command to run into the bathroom for his dinner so I can shut the door and keep him from stealing the other two kitties food.

I was training Oliver (my ginger) to be a therapy cat, but sadly he passed away a little over a year ago. Jynx (all black rescue) might make a good therapy cat when he gets older but he's just too rambunctious! He has a purr (we call him motor head sometimes because it's so loud!) and a slow blink and snuggle routine down that will melt your heart...but he's got a naughty side too. He steals food, he likes to steal anything he can fit into his mouth really, for example: he thinks it's hilarious to grab the wireless computer mouse and run away with it while you scream at him. He's even taken the whole toilet paper roll from the bathroom and my car keys off the counter. And he has this habit of when he's bored just taking a swipe at your leg as you walk by.
A clicker, lots of treats, and LOTS of repetition are the key to a cat who does tricks.

Old March 3, 2017   #49
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I tried orange and lemon peels,plastic forks stuck in the ground ect.Not much works.I even used mouse traps.They would spring the traps.Had to wait for my neighbor to move and take her cats.Some people just don't care and let their run loose.I even talked to her and told her how unhealthy it is in your vegetable garden to allow this to happen.I have a pellet pistol and thought about using it but knew I'd get in trouble with the police if I was caught.Her husband had around 12 cats at one time and they roamed all over.Your only allowed 3 or 4 pets per household here in our city.I'm glad all this is past history but I was really upset when this was going on!
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2017   #50
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Don't take it out on the animal. Report the human to the police. Keep reporting them.

It took three years but the police finally fined the neighbors for having dogs tied up without shelter or water 24/7. The guy spent 3 days in jail. The police took away two of the dogs too!

Old March 3, 2017   #51
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Your right the cat was just being a cat.Your advice is well taken.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2017   #52
WLeClair
Tomatovillian™

Since I am planting some melon seeds this morning I have decided (with much consideration and research) to lay the chicken wire flat (over the hills) and plant the seeds through it. Thank you, everyone, for your input. It's been great (and funny) reading everyone's comments. I've never been a social media person, but TVille gives me informative, entertaining reading every morning.
WLeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2017   #53
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoustache View Post
About cat training:
I have some luck training my cats.
Cats are very trainable. My cats come when called, shake hands, lie down, stand up, and speak on command. If I ask them to stop doing something annoying, they stop when I say "no". You just have to accept that, when they decide they don't want to do what you're asking, they won't. They don't have the same drive to obey or seek approval as dogs. My cats do what I ask 95% of the time, but it's because they like me and like that it makes me happy.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2017   #54
4season
Tomatovillian™

When I worked for a small mining company years ago, the boss claimed that the pigs a couple houses away would catch and eat an occasional cat. If you don't mind pigs rooting around in the garden you might try a couple. Seriously, next door there are several fed feral cats ( he traps and they get neutered and returned ) and 3 or 4 pets. If I keep them off my front lawn they will go in the garden so no front lawn. The most garden damage was done by curved bill thrashers last year digging for food in the nice damp soil next to the sprouting peas. Lost 2 rows. The cats didn't chase them off and they are around for the second year.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2017   #55
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Pigs are voracious omnivores and are pretty fierce when not raised in tiny pens.

Many animals that are labeled herbivores will eat animals when given the chance. And not just in the form of carrion. Deer, cows, etc. will eat live birds, rodents, etc. if they can catch them.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2017   #56
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Cats are very trainable. My cats come when called, shake hands, lie down, stand up, and speak on command. If I ask them to stop doing something annoying, they stop when I say "no". You just have to accept that, when they decide they don't want to do what you're asking, they won't. They don't have the same drive to obey or seek approval as dogs. My cats do what I ask 95% of the time, but it's because they like me and like that it makes me happy.
It's true. My brother has a dog; I have a cat. My pet comes on recall; his doesn't.

But "shake" and "speak"? That's pretty good!

For the record, neither one obeys "I can't see the TV!"

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2017   #57
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I bet some of the urine scents available would work, although yucky. My cat never cared about the veggie or herb gardens at all. She would find the a nice low growing, spreading flower plant and lie down on top of it as a bed. So maybe try a decoy bed with flowers, lol. We have LOTS of people in my neighborhood with cats, I often see more than one lying on a driveway or yard. One used to come lay next to me and keep me company while I gardened. Actually, he tried to move in several times and almost gave my cat a stroke. I found him in the house chilaxin more than once. But in 20 years I can count on one hand the number of times I have found cat feces in a garden bed. My own cat will ask to be let into the house to use her litter box. Strange how different our experiences are.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #58
WLeClair
Tomatovillian™

So far so good...no signs of cats this morning. My wife will be happy...melon beds always fall prey to the cats. No need to worry about tomatoes they are already big enough to withstand a little "activity". Early Girl pictured (beginning to show flower buds already!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1067.jpg (378.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1066.jpg (241.5 KB, 89 views)
WLeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #59
shule1

You could always just put a motion-activated, vibrating, toy animal in your raised bed, or one of those that makes robotic, buzzing sounds when it moves. If it doesn't scare the cats away, at least it should be entertaining to watch their reaction. I wonder if a singing bass fish would work instead.

Last edited by shule1; March 6, 2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old March 8, 2017   #60
MissS
Tomatovillian™

You could always set out a live trap and catch a few. Take them to the Humane Society. When the neighbors go looking for them they will find them and have to pay a fine to get them back or else the cats will be getting a new home. If it starts costing the neighbors money to let their cats roam, they just might start to consider keeping the cats at home.

It is the people that need the teachings, not the cats.