Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Boxcar Willie Question

Boxcar Willie is new to me this year so I don't know what it's supposed to look like. But from descriptions I've read I think it's supposed to get bigger than mine are getting.

The ones at the bottom are starting to ripen at this small size. Is it possible that it's because they were setting during that awful heat wave we had? Maybe stunted? If so, does anyone think the ones farther up the plant will get to normal size now that the wave is over? Or is it possible that what I have isn't Boxcar Willie?

Sure would appreciate any input!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019   #2
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Either the wrong variety or, more likely it seems to me, stunted from weather or some other cause. i have never grown it in a pot, but I did try a few really large plants and also found that several, but not all had smaller fruit than I got in the garden. Not sure why. Others would have normally large fruit but less of them. Often with BER or cracking because I was not set up to keep them evenly watered, which is tough to do without drip irrigation in 90+ degree heat. Others have found ways around it and get very good results. But that would be my best guess.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2019   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I have them but no green tomatoes yet.
I hope they are bigger than that.
I started from seed so I know the labels didn't get swapped.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2019   #4
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Mine have always been larger plants and larger fruits.
Old June 29, 2019   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

They generally run from 4 to 12 ounces, from what I've read. The size can vary considerably, from plant to plant, and season to season. But, it looks like your's are all under, or at about 4 ounces.

On a side note, I have Box Car Willie "Select" in my garden this year. Supposedly, it's a larger strain of BCW.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2019   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I grew it back in 2010 and my database shows the size ranged from 5 to 10 oz. Production was excellent and the taste was very good. My seed came from Mike up in Pennsylvania in a trade. I did grow it in the main garden, where I've experienced larger fruits for the most part across the board. And, I've noticed that the same year with the same batch of seeds, will be smaller in size when grown in containers. This has been true even if the container is in the main garden and the two plants are side by side.

However, all in all, I wasn't overly impressed with BCW and when I thinned out my collection, all the seeds I had went to the recipient of some 225 varieties.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2019   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all! I appreciate all the input.

Now we have another few days of 100's coming so I'm going to rig up some kind of shade on these tomatoes again tomorrow. Bill, you could have kept all that on your side of the AL/GA border but I don't blame you for wanting to pass it elsewhere just to get rid of it!
Old June 29, 2019   #8
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

I grew BCW several years ago and found the fruit were the size of my fist (big hands). I am pretty sure I was growing it in a 5 gallon self-watering container I had made. Great taste and round as I recall. But no notes or database to check that on so kudos to Ted for being the kind of organized I'd love to be, lol!

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2019   #9
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

All my BCW are in containers but with open bottoms so they can spread their legs.
I am hoping for the 10oz size.
Old June 29, 2019   #10
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm, the plants are now too tall to rig up shade, I think. More assessment on that tomorrow.

All of the tomatoes are in 15 gallon containers. The nine up at the house (all are different varieties) are sizing up nicely. Poor Willie needs to get with the program.
Old June 29, 2019   #11
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

put cheesecloth drapes on the willies.
lightweight and they block out the sun just enough.