Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2019   #31
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
And, as for precious seeds, I have the one I named Maiden's Gold that was handed down thru the family from my grandpa and came to be with me after my father's passing. But I also have the one I developed and named for my dad - Pappy's Dream. And also the one I developed and named for my mom - Mammaw's Treat. They are all precious to me because they are my compliment to my family.

This year I may have advanced another to release point. It will be named "Judy's Big Heart" as an honor to my wife of more than 55 years. And, lastly, there is one other that is special. One of the dwarf varieties I've been working with is the "Loopy Family". From that effort, I have named one for my dear friend Clara's grandson. "Henry's Sunshine" might make its debut this year.

So, what makes a seed precious? It's all about the meaning it has for you as the holder of that seed. To one person, it might mean only another slicer tomato that tastes pretty good. But to someone else, it might bring back memories of family, or of a special taste, or a special event, or just a really great gardening season. Whatever it is for you, that's what's precious.
Ted raised some good points about what makes a seed precious. For me, I had two seeds left from the original seeds that my now deceased aunt had given me in 2008, which were later named as "Anna Margaret's Heart". My aunt lived every day of her almost 98 years on this earth to its fullest and I miss helping her with her garden and listening to her stories. I planted both seeds in starting mix and fortunately both germinated. So I am eagerly anticipating some good production from both plants this year.

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #32
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

After my mother passed away I was going through her things and she had saved some tomato seeds in a pill bottle dated 2012.
Luckily it was quite a supply and I managed to get some going after 7 years.
She worked a garden as a kid and after getting married she always had a garden.
She was 98 when she went to the big greenhouse in the sky and had been gardening for 80 + years until she went blind.
The plants are doing well and I am curious about the type,since the bottle was just labeled "tomato seeds"
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #33
shule1

Probably my Galapagos Island tomato (S. cheesmaniae). Although I have plenty of seeds from 2015, I don't know anyone else who has the same early version of it (with a small but still indeterminate plant). The plant I grew last year was a cross, and it grew a giant plant (although the year before from the same source, it wasn't). I'm trying it again, this year, but the leaves look darker and not as flat (I'm not sure if it's a cross or if it just has more iron—it does have supplemental iron, but I don't know if that's the reason).

If I could only keep one of my tomatoes, though, it just might be Sausage. It's probably my favorite tomato (if last year is an indicator). The 18 plants I'm growing this year (from three sources, including from saved seed, the original seed packet, and a newer packet from the same store) should help to verify the truth, though (especially as I'm growing most of them where other tomatoes struggled last year). So far, they're doing great (and are setting plenty of fruit), but it has been a phenomenal tomato year (for plant growth and production).
Old July 6, 2019   #34
ewm12
Tomatovillian™

Default My most precious seed

I've been growing Sleeping Lady tomatoes, and they have to be my most precious seeds. I'm also trying Moreton tomatoes this year.
ewm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2019   #35
Dak
Tomatovillian™

I love the taste ofBrokenbar's Costoluto Genovese in tomato sauces, I first got seeds from her in 2012, I look forward to growing them every year.
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote