Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 2, 2018   #1276
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

A little recap and photos of The KARMA project tomatoes all together!
Left to right :
KARMA Peach F6
KARMA Purple Multiflora F6
KARMA Apricot F6
KARMA Pink F7
KARMA Purple F6
KARMA Miracle F6

All are siblings from the same cross and all on full size indeterminate potato leaf plants, All are clear epidermis, all have flavours that are different but both Marsha Eisenberg and I rate them all as excellent flavour . Sweet, tangy, complex.
The two bicolours are especially good and very unique in a small fruited potato leaf plant.
The original cross was done by Karen Olivier between Ambrosia Gold x Captain Lucky.
The KAR = Karen Olivier and the MA is Marsha Eisenberg who has partnered with me sending seeds back and forth from my Canadian garden to hers in Plantation Florida in order to grow year round and advance them twice as fast. We have become fast friends through working together on our KARMAs, these great and unique little tomatoes
The KARMA peach remains a work in progress but the others have been very consistent with the KARMA Pink at F7 ahead of the others being trialled in gardens all over Canada, the US and Europe this summer.
I am happy with how stable the five original KARMAs appear to be and will work toward a bit more size on the KARMA Peach going forward as it just appeared in the F5.
I present to you, our KARMA Project.

Last edited by KarenO; August 2, 2018 at 11:18 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1277
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Very Nice indeed!!

Woz
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1278
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

mmm

Looks like a candy plate!

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1279
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Fascinating work and great results
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1280
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Great photography, so much there for us to be proud of. I can't wait to taste them again. I would love to see some lengthwise photos of the bicolor ones too,if you think of it and get time. KARMA Miracle looks exactly like a mini Captain Lucky. I love these so much, my genius breeder friend. Great work!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1281
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I am hoping we will be able to grow them next year. Please, please describe their taste difference.
They are all looking mouthwatering.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1282
bower
Tomatovillian™

I just love the diversity that can result from one cross... And I'm sure they are all unique not just in color but taste too. Kudos to you Karen and Marsha for working together on this project and making so much happen in a very short time.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1283
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

World class group of tomatoes!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1284
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everybody, it’s been a very rewarding project.
I am happy to say that all if them except perhaps the peach ( we shall see after Marsha’s growout this winter) will be available to try for spring 2019.
So very pleased with the response to the KARMA pink and I really think if you enjoyed that one you will be blown away by these others.
I can’t verbally describe the nuances in flavour between them except to compare them to their beefsteak counterparts: black, bicolour, pink, and that bicolour green and pink tastes like captain lucky except sweeter.
You will just have to try them. I am especially interested in anyone who is willing to grow them all at once and provide photos and feedback although that won’t be required it would be interesting.
An offer will go out for the spring. Stay tuned
KarenO
Old August 3, 2018   #1285
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1286
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Thanks everybody, it’s been a very rewarding project.
I am happy to say that all if them except perhaps the peach ( we shall see after Marsha’s growout this winter) will be available to try for spring 2019.
So very pleased with the response to the KARMA pink and I really think if you enjoyed that one you will be blown away by these others.
I can’t verbally describe the nuances in flavour between them except to compare them to their beefsteak counterparts: black, bicolour, pink, and that bicolour green and pink tastes like captain lucky except sweeter.
You will just have to try them. I am especially interested in anyone who is willing to grow them all at once and provide photos and feedback although that won’t be required it would be interesting.
An offer will go out for the spring. Stay tuned
KarenO
That is if all goes well in my grow out, and our season is cool enough, and not too rainy.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1287
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

And if it is a terrible year for Marsha in Florida, I am saving a lot of Mt 2018 seeds as insurance.
There will be seeds. Hopefully advanced another generation but if not then seeds from mine.
KarenO
Old August 3, 2018   #1288
clara
Tomatovillian™

You have both done a great job! I could finally taste Karma Pink and have found a new favorite! My list of "must grow every year" is getting larger! And I'm already curious about the other Karmas!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1289
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Wonderful pictures, Karen!

And thanks to both you and Marsha for the whole KARMA project!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2018   #1290
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I’m enjoying growing out KP - and trying to bring them in before they get stink bug damage. For some reason, it seems to be a target. I confess I have eaten a few eagerly without waiting for full ripeness, but, hey, I couldn’t resist. I’ll be sending photos and taste profiles in the next couple of days. Thank you both for this. They all look scrumptious!!!!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote