Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2019   #1
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Default Your most precious seed

Hi Y'all,
I have two "precious" seeds that I'm growing this year: Gailla Nostrale and Persian Melon. I'm trying to baby them to maturity for more seeds.
What's your "precious" seed this year? Go!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #2
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

my most precious seeds came from great uncle steve from the old country (sicily).
i have my uncle steve italian plum tomato, and italian pole beans that i grow every year.
over 40 years now under my care.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #3
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

A member on here kindly sent me a whole bunch of varieties, some of them are either very rare in my country or not generally available.

I have them in a zip lock bag I tried to get the air out of and then wrapped in foil and put in a dark draw.

Wont be starting this year though, will have to wait till 2020 now.
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Same as Keith but mine is Shannon's. Family heirloom for decades. Always have at least 4 plants and save fresh seed every year. Going to save as much as I can this year to distribute.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

As an anal retentive gardener (thinking about starting a separate thread just for that topic), my most "precious" seed is the 3-5 seeds that I can only save once every few years.

The seeds come from a Seek-No-Further Love Apple tomato that has only one "real" locule (usually located near the center of the fruit). All of the other locules are basically fused to the point of there being no space for any gel or seed. The reason I can only save these seeds every few years is because a 1-locule tomato only shows up every few years. And 3-5 seeds is all that this tomato will have. All of my plants in my garden are from these few seeds. Saved seed from these plants are the ones I give away.

As for non-anal retentive precious seed, Berta Talaska beans are #1 on my list. After several years, I finally have a few.

After that, it's probably the Madras and Rattail radish seed.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

For different reasons:

Japanese Pink Cherry - I have not found an online place to buy the seeds. (I'm growing them to share seeds with you all.) Some of you will find it to be a must grow variety.

Gailla Nostrale squash. The very best of luck Christina. If you want any advice about them -
I will gladly let you know my experience including seed saving. Gailla Nostrale will cross pollinate easily, so I would grow them isolated from all other squash.

Medovaya Kaplya tomato seeds. (I have no seeds - mine cross pollinated.) If anyone can find them online in any country that I can order seeds from - I would appreciate that info very much. It is a Russian variety that looks like Yellow Pear, but that's about all they have in common.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #7
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

This year almost every seed I have is most precious. I lost everything last year so have had to start over
Old May 2, 2019   #8
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This year while going through the seed inventory I came across Bulgarian Tri-Fanova. When looking at Tania's site there was no description (unless I missed it somewhere) A seed saving friend sent it to me several years ago and I have forgotten who. The seeds did very well so I will baby it along and save more seeds and send in photos and descriptions.
Old May 2, 2019   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Robert, Medovaya Kaplya is listed on J&L's website. If you search under Honey Drop, there are other sellers too. It looks really nice and I think I may have some from an old mmmm, must organize for next year then I can try and share!

@ Rattail Radish
Mentioned in a thread last year. Note to self to research. Planted and forgot and got weeded over. Good reminder to try these again. Available from Seed Savers. Is saving seeds tricky?

Precious seed is a salvia from mmmm. So pretty and love watching for hummers - never saw this plant in a garden center!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #10
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
For different reasons:

Japanese Pink Cherry - I have not found an online place to buy the seeds. (I'm growing them to share seeds with you all.) Some of you will find it to be a must grow variety.

Gailla Nostrale squash. The very best of luck Christina. If you want any advice about them -
I will gladly let you know my experience including seed saving. Gailla Nostrale will cross pollinate easily, so I would grow them isolated from all other squash.

Medovaya Kaplya tomato seeds. (I have no seeds - mine cross pollinated.) If anyone can find them online in any country that I can order seeds from - I would appreciate that info very much. It is a Russian variety that looks like Yellow Pear, but that's about all they have in common.
Here's your Medovay Kaplya tomato seeds, they're carried at J&L Gardens:
http://jandlgardens.com/xencart/inde...roducts_id=353
Four bucks covers postage and seeds (free shipping).

Hope this helps..
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Robert, Medovaya Kaplya is listed on J&L's website. If you search under Honey Drop, there are other sellers too. It looks really nice and I think I may have some from an old mmmm, must organize for next year then I can try and share!

@ Rattail Radish
Mentioned in a thread last year. Note to self to research. Planted and forgot and got weeded over. Good reminder to try these again. Available from Seed Savers. Is saving seeds tricky?

Precious seed is a salvia from mmmm. So pretty and love watching for hummers - never saw this plant in a garden center!

- Lisa

Is saving radish seed tricky? Well, first, if you eat all of the pods, yes. I have no experience with Rattail or Madras, but with other radishes, the number of pods are basically uncountable. Too much rain when pods are drying down, and birds stealing seed might be problems. I doubt that birds could do much damage, though.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #12
Solanum315
Tomatovillian™

Squarehead Pink, Calf's Heart, Pangasinan Native, Gimli, Siling Labuyo, Pink From Syracuse; all seeds that I either collected myself or someone sent them to me and are not commercially available.

http://worldtomatoes.blogspot.com/
Solanum315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #13
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Salt! I’m trying to find the Genus/Species name...
I’m growing Butternut Bush,too. I can yank it out and replant if it will cross with Gailla Nostrale! The Butternut is C.Moshata,but I don’t know the Nostrale
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #14
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I was teased with seeds from an unnamed huge heirloom Italian plum type tomato.
I was promised a few plants when the time comes.
A local greenhouse starts seeds for people that can't do it themselves,I may visit to check
on progress. A cousin owns the plants.

Cost-wise the cherry falls seeds were 30 cents each.I only had 11 seeds and all came up.
Precious plants I would clone in case tragedy strikes during the season.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #15
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I had an unknown pale yellow cherry volunteer 4 years ago, and it is highly productive here in Atlanta.

I have selected seeds for four years, and now it is one of the most popular among our fellow gardeners. I just call it Scott's Yellow Cherry. Just one of those accidental blessings.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote