Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Protection... Or Not

Yesterday I had to toss three really pretty almost-ready tomatoes because they had been pecked hard. I'm thinking bird pecked and not squirrel munched because I've never seen a squirrel in the garden. They stay up behind the house where there's endless sunflower seed meant for the birds. Smart squirrels.

It's funny how strange thoughts just pop into the brain. For some reason, hats made of coffee filters came to mind. Just cut a slit in a filter from the edge to the center.

Slip it over the tomato stem. Instant protective hat.

Ah, a wonderful idea... until the problems arise. Trying to cover clusters like these were problematic:

And what happens when it rains? And will bugs climb up under them and wreak unseen havoc? And will they blow off?

Heavy sigh. I ended up doing the easy thing by tossing the prototypes and just picking the almost-readies because they'll ripen anyway. And I set out near those cages one of those big saucers that goes under pots and filled it with water so it might divert the attention of birds looking for moisture in this heat.

But it was fun playing with it.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Cut out the "pecked" parts and enjoy the rest. What's the problem????? Same thing applies to those with cracked skins from too much rain or other source of water. No sense wasting all that effort. We know that some critters walk on our tomatoes no matter what we do. Do we throw those away???? Common sense must prevail is my call.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have been known to eat right after the birds and critters no washing at all.

It reminds me of the time my moms doberman "Dober" would come up to the popcorn bowl and drool in it.
My mom would then give the popcorn to him.
He did this to me one time and I ate it anyway.
You should have seen the look on that dogs face.
He growled, walked off with his head down curled up and laid back down just looking at me.
It was the last time he ever drooled in my popcorn.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #4
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

For large tomatoes, I started picking them at the same ripeness as your pictures g and let them continue to ripen in the house. I didn't notice any difference in taste and only had one or two with the bird peck.

What type of tomato are you growing? Great yield on low branches.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #5
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

The dollar store here sells a mesh stretchy laundry bag that is 2 feet wide by 3 feet.
The mesh is small so I wanted to avoid using that when the plants still have blossoms.
Added feature of blocking part of the sunlight to avoid sunscald.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree with everyone (Except eating dog slobber popcorn )
Letting them finish ripening inside sounds like a good idea to me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #7
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I don't have the time or energy to play with making little umbrellas for each tomato. Pick the darned things and let them ripen inside, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #8
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I did that with a cherry falls and it tasted like winter tomatoes from stop&shop.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2019   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Once birds get a taste of those tomatoes it's basically impossible to stop them, until next year, their memory seems oddly short. I had a huge problem with angry birds two years ago, unless the tomato is fully covered, they will peck it from underneath (maybe less often though). I covered all bigger tomatoes fully in alu foil. Some even pecked through it. And to think they say alu foil scares birds...
The water is the problem, the thing is you can't change their mind after they started, you needed to put water around before.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2019   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Why not pick them? They are ready
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2019   #11
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Like many others here I have not noticed a difference in taste when picked after they start to color and ripen inside. Do not put in a bag, do not put in refrig, just on the counter out of the sun. Don't know if it was the variety or if you picked them green or what, but share with the critters or try again.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2019   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I didn't eat dog drool but Dober didn't knkw that.
I tossed the popcorn when he wasn't looking.
Dober was one cool dog.
Old July 5, 2019   #13
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Like many others here I have not noticed a difference in taste when picked after they start to color and ripen inside. Do not put in a bag, do not put in refrig, just on the counter out of the sun. Don't know if it was the variety or if you picked them green or what, but share with the critters or try again.
One of the most hotly debated topic here on the Tville for years, there was a thread way back where different experts had different experiences and even scientific data to prove their points.
Out of necessity (rainstorm, exrended cool period, birds..), I have to pick many toms while they're still half ripe, but if the conditions allow I let them to ripen on the vine as long as possible.
I have thought of such measures to protect them, but so far nothing as innovative.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2019   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Socks.
Old July 5, 2019   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

This morning I found a few cherry toms pecked and in the soil. Maybe chipmunks. I'm only
getting cherries now and really appreciate them. I pick at blush and ripen indoor in the cooler
ac temp. In all this heat trying to pick ripened-on-the-vine is a hit or miss.

I just ignore the expert opinions about the issue.

Love the row of blushing toms above the counter. Sliced at the perfect firm/ripe state.
Picked ripe and hot the window of appreciation is just hours.

If you want to cover and protect, the tulle bags work. I use them for my cherry tree, (so I can
at least get some before the birds)...and for a white chive project.

My favorite farm stand will sell blushing. The nasty/mean local farm and some farmers
markets will only sell ripe. You can only buy one or two heirlooms because they don't last
even 12-24hours. (if they gave the option of blushing they would make better sales).

I purchased a few dozen tulle bags a few years ago. Two sizes. Cheap. Use them over and over.
Not on long enough to break down in the weather.

Tomatoes are climacteric. They continue ripening like bananas. non-climacteric like strawberries
will not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white chives covered.jpg (840.2 KB, 115 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote