Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 20, 2014   #1
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default garden labels

As I'm new to saving seed I needed to be more diligent about labeling the plants in my garden. I've never had much luck with the little plastic labels.

Short story, I bought a laminator and 3"x4" laminating pouches, printed my labels on the computer and sealed them up in the pouch. The picture of the Tequila pepper label was my trial and has weathered several heavy rains.

Not sure how they will fair in the hot sun, but so far so good.

My had writing is not good.....old and shaky ...this makes me look good anyway.

Anybody else tried this. I'm sure hoping they hold up for the season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-62.JPG (173.3 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg photo-90.JPG (176.1 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg photo-91.JPG (174.9 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg photo-92.JPG (134.6 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg photo-93.JPG (110.1 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg photo-94.JPG (185.9 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg photo-95.JPG (163.7 KB, 418 views)
Old June 20, 2014   #2
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Rob,
I use a laminator often for different projects but never thought of doing labels this way. There actually quite attractive, and you can read them from a distance. You have to post back and let us know how they hold up over the summer. Nice looking garden . Reminds me of my friends garden area that he has down on the flat behind his barn. Everything looks very healthy and well tended. Nice job.
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2014   #3
KenNashua
Tomatovillian™

Lol.. After presumably being careful labeling seedlings and labeling the garden, I'm looking at pear-shaped tomatoes labeled super sweet 100... Apparently not careful enough.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
KenNashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2014   #4
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I use laminated labels w/o any problems. But I have a grid that shows the location of each variety posted on end is each trellis that is in each raised bed of 10 tomatoes. When I posted individually I had problems with the foliage overtaking and hiding the labels.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #5
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Very good idea.

I'm glad to hear they hold up without fading from the sun
Old June 22, 2014   #6
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Yes, I use laminated labels w/o any problems. But I have a grid that shows the location of each variety posted on end is each trellis that is in each raised bed of 10 tomatoes. When I posted individually I had problems with the foliage overtaking and hiding the labels.
Have pictures?
Old July 20, 2014   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Now, I feel kind of lazy. Your labels look great and well planned out.

My labels are hand written on a sticky folder-type label - stuck on a 1x2 stake beside each plant...really boring, but at least everyone won't be asking what kind of tomato this is.

I think your laminated pouches with printed labels looks great.

oooh idea, you could add info in tiny font that tells if that/those plants are hybrid or heirloom, bug pests that like eating them and how to combat those bugs, and interesting information dealing with that variety.

I gotta do that
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014   #8
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

I use a full-size laminate sheet for each bed of nine tomatoes, another for the Earthtainers and there is enough room for a description of the color for tomatoes and cetera. Just took down last year's, and they were still barely legible. None of them faced the sun, just plain weather snow, rain and freeze. Works well.
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2014   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today I watched our fuzzy white kitten playing with one of my labeled stakes, and she pulled off the cheap label. Doh!
Old July 22, 2014   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I use a laminator for my seeds ( I laminate the whole seed packet) when I am not using john henry tags for a variety. That way I know what to tell my customers when they are looking at plants to buy. Your idea is a very durable one. You will even be able to save them for next year and reuse them.
Old January 17, 2015   #11
viperman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mcgee View Post
As I'm new to saving seed I needed to be more diligent about labeling the plants in my garden. I've never had much luck with the little plastic labels.

Short story, I bought a laminator and 3"x4" laminating pouches, printed my labels on the computer and sealed them up in the pouch. The picture of the Tequila pepper label was my trial and has weathered several heavy rains.

Not sure how they will fair in the hot sun, but so far so good.

My had writing is not good.....old and shaky ...this makes me look good anyway.

Anybody else tried this. I'm sure hoping they hold up for the season.
Those labels look good. I tried many different things for labeling my daylily seedlings in pots and found that the paint pens from the craft section at Walmart were sunfast. I use them to write on short pieces of window blinds. It is a quick and dirty way I can label plants in the garden. I will try your method for the more permanent markers for my named lilies as it looks a lot more professional.
viperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2015   #12
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

I used the laminated labels this last season. Had no fading at all. I attached them at the same place on all the cages so if the foliage covered them I knew where to look.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #13
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

I kept all the labels from last season and was pleased to see that they still look good as new and I will use them again this year........
Old January 21, 2015   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We found clear compact cover at Staples 18" x 9' for $3. What I grew up calling, "Compact paper". We also bought some laminate sheets at Walmart. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't much. We are going to try both to see if we like one more than the other.
Old January 22, 2015   #15
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

You could also label all the trees on the property to...common name, Latin name, genus specieslike a park!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote