Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 29, 2007   #1
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite camping spots?

Here is one of our favorite places to camp. It is called Red Canyon. Some other pics from our family vacation included. Red Canyon is near Bryce Canyon National Park. We also stopped at Kodachrome State Park where the picture of my boys in front of the arch is. Where do you like to camp?

Tyffanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camping 1.jpg (242.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg camping 2.jpg (295.1 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg camping 3.jpg (179.9 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg camping 7.jpg (227.2 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg camping 4.jpg (57.8 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg camping 5.jpg (54.6 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg camping 6.jpg (52.5 KB, 184 views)
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Alas we are in a rented cabin in Bozeman, Montana this week. An abundance of creature comforts but that has not taken anything away for me. The temperatures have been glorious and the mountains and terrain are second to none. We went into Yellowstone yesterday and it beat all my expectations.

The hot springs, geysers, and massive spaces that have been set aside for wildlife to roam are something to be proud of as an American. We have a tendancy to pave things over and put up a shopping mall, but a few dedicated souls are there to make sure the best gets protected.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I Love your pics and your children are very beautiful! I love to camp, (dh says no way). When the kids get older I will take them camping in Colorado. Utah is so special and your pics are very very pretty!-R
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #4
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Morgan,
I'm so glad you got to see some of Yellowstone. It is amazing!!! I would stay in a cabin any day over camping---but camping is more economical, and the kids love it. I have a good air mattress now so its not too bad, and the campground we stayed at had warm showers. We would like to get a pop-up trailer in the next couple of years. Setting up and taking down camp is always a pain.

Did you get to see any of Grand Teton National Park?
My Dad is from Montana and lives there now, so I've seen some beautiful places there as well.

Rena,
Colorado is beautiful too---definitely some good camping spots there. I feel lucky to live in a place that has sooo much to see. When I was in high school I lived in California. Camping on the beach is fun too. My kids did the Jr Ranger program at Bryce Canyon. I bet your kids would like that too. I think most National Parks have them. The funny thing about our trip was that we hardly saw any Utah plates. The majority of the tourists were from other states, or Europe---especially France. I bet there are tons of people living in the cities here, that have never seen our National Parks, yet drive to Vegas or California for vacations and such.

Tyffanie
Old August 29, 2007   #5
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Nice family and camping photos. My daughter and family lived in Utah for 6 years and unfortunately I only got to see the neat red rocks when we were driving out of the state to move her to Maryland. They camped every year there. I will ask her where she went...maybe you've been there too.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Your pictures are really cool. I've not been out West much. My aunt, uncle and cousins used to live kind of at the bottom of Pike's Peak. Visiting them is really the only time I've spent out that way, other than on the Coast.

My favorite campground is actually right down the road from my house, across the street from the store where I do most of my grocery shopping. I know that sounds funny but it's true. It's on the beach with lots of live oaks. Each site is fairly private. Sometimes, especially when you have RV sites mixed with tent sites, it's set up kind of like a parking lot for campers. Everybody is just in a row, all together. There are some not so great sites at this campground, up by the road, but most of them are nice.

We go to another great place out Route 58, just past South Hill, Va. It's North Bend Park by the John H. Kerr Dam, on the Va/No. Carolina border. If you have a boat, bring it. Great bass fishing. We have camped here at least 25 times. Both tent camping and RV camping with water and electric. It's a three hour drive each way but we like it there.
Old August 30, 2007   #7
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Michele,
My best friend used to live in Virginia Beach and loved it! I hear the beaches are very nice, so I imagine camping there would be nice---especially when you don't have to go very far. Our closest campground is about 20 minutes away, up the canyon. It isn't our favorite, but it's nice for a quick get away. When we have babies it is a good place to go because I can leave Dad there with the kids and go home for the night, then return in the morning. There is a creek that runs by/through it so the kids can get wet. We will go up there for Sunday drives sometimes and just get out and walk around for a bit. There is a lot of wild mint, so sometimes I'll bring some home. The kids like picking the snake grass.

Tyffanie
Old August 30, 2007   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

That's part of the reason I like the one down the road. First of all, we're actually in civilization. Also, when my son was younger and used to take a nap, he wouldn't be able to fall asleep during the day at the campground. So we'd take him home, put him in his own bed and let him sleep. I'd work in the garden and my husband would clean the pool or something, then he'd wake up and we'd go back to the campsite. At night, one of us would lie in bed with him and he'd fall asleep pretty quickly and we'd sneak out. My daughter still takes a nap so we'll see if we have to come home for those with her.
Old August 30, 2007   #9
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

I'm also a big fan of Utah. Attended college in Colorado, where needless to say there were plenty of awesome camping possibilities. Nothing against CO but I was just drawn to the Utah backcountry as well as its parks...National, State as well as lots of the BLM land. My favorite park unquestionably is Canyonlands N.P. Have pitched my tent there times too numerous to count. Also love Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Arches and Calf Creek S.P....try finding that sucker on a map.

I don't camp nearly as much as I used to unfortunately. The kids are getting older so we will be getting bolder in our recreational choices in the near future. Nice pics BTW. I need to catch up w/technology. Virtually all my pretty camping and outdoor pics were prior to digital. Favorite Camping Spots?? Man, I miss Utah!!
*Great Sand Dunes National Park Colorado
*Maze and Needles districts of Canyonlands N.P. Utah
*Pt.Sal State Beach in central coast CA...no camping allowed back then so pulled stealth, tactical overnighter(s)
*Arches N.P. Utah, offseason w/light morning snow
*Calf Creek S.P Utah backcountry w/ lil' fossil collecting

Well THANKS a lot...another summer virtually gone w/ no camping...thanks for rubbing it in!! Good news is that we might visit some friends in N. California later this fall or early winter and check out some of the Redwoods.
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #10
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Bumping this thread. Last year I won a 5th wheel n a raffle (paying the taxes almost beggared me). I was also finishing up the last year for a college degree. I promised my kids we would travel more when Mama finished school. My kids are 6, 4, and 2. So every other wkend now we've traveled to a campsite here in SC. We started this month. The first place we went was Givhans Ferry State Park. We'll definitely go back. We loved it there. Last fall we went on vacation with a family friend to Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach during the fall. He rented one of the houses there for a week. We really enjoyed it then. This past wkend we took the 5th wheel. The kids enjoyed the water park and the ocean but I think we'll probably pass on Ocean Lakes during the summer from now on. There was no where outside our camper the kids could play and my husband finally put on his t-shirt and flip flops and went and told the group of teenagers and 2 ppl in there early 20's behind us they needed to be quiet about 3 a.m. Saturday morning as we had young children trying to sleep. We're going to Huntington Beach for our next spot. I'll let y'all know what we think. I know there's more campers trolling T'ville. Where do y'all like to camp?
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #11
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

http://www.huntingisland.com
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #12
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Just saw that hurricane matthew clipped hunting island.
Doesn't look like it will be the same.
Old June 26, 2017   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Just saw that hurricane matthew clipped hunting island.
Doesn't look like it will be the same.
Well it will be different that is the way it is.

As for camping spots a local favorite place is about a mile from my house.
That is why I moved here.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #14
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Hunting island will heal. Not its first hurricane rodeo, but been a while for sure.
One of the things making it special was the forested beachfront campsites. They are gone, and looks like they won't be replaced.

Ok heres another.
https://www.nps.gov/caco/index.htm
I won't name our favorite campground, its already tough to get in.
But the whole area is beaches and family friendly.
Old June 28, 2017   #15
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Nematode we went to Ocean Lakes last fall the day when they opened back up after Hurricane Matthew had hit. Yes, it done some damage. The big damage from the storm though came from the inland rivers flooding we saw on our way home the end of that week. I'm aware of the changes at Huntington Beach. Matthew was a walk in the park compared to the monster that destroyed when Hugo roared ashore when I was a child in the 5th grade. The last link you sent seems interesting! Thanks! I've always wanted to visit the Cape Cod area....
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote