Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 12, 2015   #10
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I LOVE growing lettuces and have several varieties growing right now. It was a challenge this year cuz there are 2 squirrels now who have discovered my garden and they kept digging up my beds.
My favs are Merveilles de Quatre Saisons (Marvel of the 4 Seasons), Red Oakleaf, Merlot, and basically any green romaine. I like to border party platters with leaves of the Merveilles as they are so beautiful. Always elicits oohs and ahhs.
Like Worth, I too encountered resistance from people who only knew iceberg. I told them to mix my colorful ones with iceberg, so they can still have their crunch but now also experience real taste. Now everyone begs me for lettuce, saying they can't eat iceberg anymore. The garden at my office is closely guarded by staff who stake out a lettuce and try to get to it first. At harvest time when we have loads of lettuces we have a lettuce wrap lunch where we all build our own wraps. It's a lot of fun!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote