Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 8, 2011   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Armenian cukes

I have read that they do well in the heat and am giving thought to ordering some seed to give them a try in this South Texas inferno.
Those of you that have grown them, is it worth the effort or a waste of time. And a suggestion as to where I might get seeds would be great
Old June 9, 2011   #2
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Territorial seed has them. Mine are just now starting to show some growth- maybe too cold, certainly too wet the last few weeks.
davespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
I have read that they do well in the heat and am giving thought to ordering some seed to give them a try in this South Texas inferno.
Those of you that have grown them, is it worth the effort or a waste of time. And a suggestion as to where I might get seeds would be great
http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=1357

I'm just putting up this link to share that Armenian cukes go by several names and that they are actually melons, as in C. melo, rather than true cukes, which are C. sativus, and I've grown them for many years and love them.

If you Google Armenian Cuke seeds you'll come up with lots of seed sources. I usually get mine from Pinetree but Baker Creek and many many more places sell the seeds.

I don't let mine get to the yard long as many sites say they get and I don't trellis them to keep them straight either, so they curl up, thus the Serpent name, but always non-bitter and always cool, crispy and refreshing.
Old June 9, 2011   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info, appreciate it
Old June 9, 2011   #5
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Ted is TX also, he mentioned growing them in this thread...

Growing them for the first time this year, little slower at first compare to the rest of the bunch (Diamant, Cross Country, Diva, Boston and few more), but now, that the warm weather is stable, plenty of flowers, and few fruits have set.

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2011   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

It is already past prime planting time here and I was thinking about giving them a try anyway. In an area that doesnt get full sun. With the heat they probably wont do well even though they are advertised to do well in such conditions.
I will probably wait until I have more to order than just them for seeds and give them a try in the future.
Old June 10, 2011   #7
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to know too....can't grow a regular cuke in the heat around here either
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2011   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Mine just keeps getting better and better as it gets hotter in Phoenix. This is the second summer I've grown them. They never get bitter, even if you let them get huge, 12-18 inches in size. I usually eat them at 6-8 inches because I prefer very tender skin and no seeds.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have had no luck with mine this year but last year they did alright and they produced well after all the other cukes had died. They are very sweet and mild. For the amount of flowers they produce they don't set very many fruits but it doesn't take a lot of foot long cucumbers at one time for a salad.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #10
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

duajones, I have some Armenian cuke seeds if you would still like some. Just send me your addy and I will get them out this week.

I grew A.C last season in my GH and outside. I had them climbing up a trellis. The ones in G.H did very well. Healthy plant that spread out and climbed up all the way to the top of the ceiling.. set lot's of flowers, production was avg. but lasted all season long. The fruit will get really long, but I picked most at the 10 inch stage and they tasted absolutely wonderful..You can eat the skin and all..Crisp and sweet, slightly mild flavor ..

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #11
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

They don't seem to set very many until the thermometer bumps close to 100 or higher for me. I can't imagine it would be real productive in cool climates. Early in the season, it seems to make male flowers forever.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2011   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
They don't seem to set very many until the thermometer bumps close to 100 or higher for me. I can't imagine it would be real productive in cool climates. Early in the season, it seems to make male flowers forever.
Tracy, I wonder why it takes such a high temp before you get female blossoms?

And it is very productive in cool climates as in my zone 5 in upstate NY. So many cukes I can't keep up and the same for Suyo Long which is another fave for me.

Actually any cuke variety I plant up here does superbly. There are two new ones I'm trying this year in addition to my always Armenian ones so we'll see how they like this cool weather and it's raining again right now.

I'm really pleased b/c since I moved here in 1999 after I retired I haven't seen ONE striped or spotted cuke beetle and that's indeed good news.
Old June 12, 2011   #13
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
duajones, I have some Armenian cuke seeds if you would still like some. Just send me your addy and I will get them out this week.

I grew A.C last season in my GH and outside. I had them climbing up a trellis. The ones in G.H did very well. Healthy plant that spread out and climbed up all the way to the top of the ceiling.. set lot's of flowers, production was avg. but lasted all season long. The fruit will get really long, but I picked most at the 10 inch stage and they tasted absolutely wonderful..You can eat the skin and all..Crisp and sweet, slightly mild flavor ..

Ginny

PM sent! thank you so much for the offer!
This South Texas heat will put them to a test for sure.
If they set fruit here they should just about anywhere
Old June 12, 2011   #14
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, in answer to your question .. I agree with Tracydr, it has also been my experience that they are slow here producing fruit till now... I noticed my first one on the vine about 3in long and the vines have been blooming for a while now. I think it is because here on the desert the night temps are much lower. As an example .. last month the day was 93f and that same night was 48f ... some plants handle this well and some do strange things compared to where the daytime highs and nighttime lows are close together.. I also think this is partly why we can be above a 100f during the day and still set tomatoes. I meant to mention another vegetable that reacts to the cool night temps... Asian yardlong beans... my greenbeans have about given out and will get replanted soon, but the yardlong (planted at the same time) have just now got about 6in tall and I replanted another row last week and they are the same size as the ones planted a month ago and looking much greener and stronger.
Old June 16, 2011   #15
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Duane.........I planted from seed this spring here in Central Texas, and they have taken off. They have overtaken my trellised Cucumber patch. Flowers, and fruits galore. I can't give them away fast enough. The plant leaves are very healthy, and the hotter it gets the more fruit I pick. I will grow again next year, and probably grow in the fall. I highly recommend!!
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote