Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 10, 2009   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Ray's "CornTainers" for 2009 (pics)

Well, March 10 and time to begin planting corn for the Season. This year, I have reduced the number of seedlings per 'Tainer to 15 stalks, and that should permit more robust growth and yield. I am also using black mulch for the first time this year to minimize water evaporation, as we will be on mandatory water rationing in this area of California.

I started seedlings in my window-box about 2 weeks ago, rather than direct sowing into the 'Tainers.

Hopefully, this approach will give me a jump-start:

I am going to grow 4 varieties this year, and plan to get 2 harvests between first planting now and the November frost timeframe. These are: Northern Xtra-sweet 67 days, Legend Hybrid 65 days, Gotta-have-it super-sweet 78 days, and Honey Select Hybrid triple-sweet 79 days. I'll be rotating these varieties in a total of 10 'Tainers this year.

I will also be using Actinovate in the CornTainers - - will not use it in selective 'Tainers as an "A/B" growth and yield comparison, so stay tuned.....

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2009   #2
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray,
Where did you place the fertilizer strip?
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2009   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

For the CornTainers, I do not use a fertilizer strip. I use a water soluble fertilizer from Gurney's blended just for sweet corn.

I do a soil drench with it a few days after planting, then simply pour a tablespoon full down the filler tube and disperse it with the hose in the water reservoir when the plants reach 10", and again when they reach 24". It will be interesting to trial the Actinovate in the CornTainers this season to see if it has the same benefit as with my Snow Peas.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote