Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 4, 2013   #1
PHONETOOL
Tomatovillian™

Default Trouble growing peppers

I've had very good luck with everything else but peppers.. I can't seem to get them

To grow bell peppers jalapenos or anything any suggestions?

Above is a picture of my jalapeno plant only 1 jalapeno so far
PHONETOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2013   #2
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

I had a similar thread this summer, check it out here:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27826

Should have everything you need to know to improve. I grew terrible peppers too, but I am growing the BEST peppers ever! This year! It's remarkable the changes I am having from listening to the advice on the above thread.

Some changes were less Nitrogen Fertilizer, pulling off flowers/peppers at transplanting time to improve root transition, and I place the pepper plants 4 to a 4 foot row, which helps the pepper plants stand up on their own without stakes. Most important was not to baby them...I didn't water them AT ALL after transplant day, (mind you there has been a LOT of rain this year, but you get the point.)
Old August 4, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

That plant looks a bit yellow so it may be suffering from too little fertilizer and it is a very small plant to be making peppers. It is usually better to pick off the first few blooms to allow the plant to get some size before allowing it to make peppers. I would give it some Miracle Grow at the full recommended strength and pull off that pepper. Give it a nice thick layer of mulch to keep the soil moisture level even and cooler. See how it looks in a week and if it looks noticeably better give it another dose of MG. Check the undersides of the leaves for aphids. They can be devastating to young pepper plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2013   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Bill, they look a bit starved.
What kind of soil are they in? How is the soil moisture? Fertilizers used? Organic? Synthetic? Granular? Liquid? Both?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2013   #5
PHONETOOL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for your information and suggestions

I'm using patio plus and fertilizer spikes

I gave them some compost tea yesterday let's see how they do

Last edited by PHONETOOL; August 5, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
PHONETOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2013   #6
nolabelle
Tomatovillian™

I posted my pathetic container garden on the thread about "Throwing In The Towel."

I have 3 mystery peppers that stepson bought at Home Depot, and he said they were listed as "Spicy Bell." He didn't keep the label. The one pepper that grew looks like a habanero.

These plants are very small and the one habanero was on a plant much like the one starting this thread... small plant with only one pepper.

Yesterday, I took, them off the fence and put them under the carport. They will get sideways light there. The heat right now is so intense that everything is suffering. They get flowers, but the flowers wither and fall off. I hope that the partial shade will help them out.

Someone suggested this, but I forget whom. Thanks a bunch!