Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old October 2, 2015   #31
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Chris that is very pretty. My neighbor grows this on his farm and his glass gem has more dark jewel tones and fewer pinks, almost none your color. You said you had a small plot. Did you use just the pink tassels and hand pollinate?

I was at the farm today and he must have harvested this past week. Last year the ears were only about 6-8 inches and they were almost a foot this year. I haven't been over to see the colors yet. I'll find out how many plants her grows instead of guessing but its just for decoration.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2015   #32
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

No, I had three plants with the height I was looking for, chopped out all the others, and let the three open pollinate.

I'll probably do the same next year: I'll plant a block from the original stock of Glass Gem I have (~2 lbs of seed) plus the progeny from the selections this year. Remove the ones I don't like size wise and allow the remaining to open pollinate to get even more diversity of color and other traits (don't want to narrow this genetic pool down too much). Repeat this a number of times and I'll have a more uniform smaller stature Glass Gem open pollinated population (corn does not do well continuously inbreeding unlike tomatoes). We'll see how successful I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Chris that is very pretty. My neighbor grows this on his farm and his glass gem has more dark jewel tones and fewer pinks, almost none your color. You said you had a small plot. Did you use just the pink tassels and hand pollinate?

I was at the farm today and he must have harvested this past week. Last year the ears were only about 6-8 inches and they were almost a foot this year. I haven't been over to see the colors yet. I'll find out how many plants her grows instead of guessing but its just for decoration.

- Lisa

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2015   #33
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvozdika View Post
From 6 Tom Thumb plants I had only one cob. The pollen was blown away by the time I needed it to pollinate the rest of the ears. Is it possible to store corn pollen?
Hello Gvozdika, I have asked a good authority about that very thing on storing pollen. He said all of his studies had no luck with keeping pollen viable for any extended period of time. Maybe someone else knows something about it. I hope so.
Old October 4, 2015   #34
gvozdika
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Dawn. If all goes well, I hope to try again next year. At least now I have plenty of seeds