Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old December 26, 2014   #1
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default Kerosene Heater in a Hoop House

I've been trying to figure out an economical way to get some plants started in a hoop house by mid February here in Albuquerque. It will still be very cold with highs in the 30's and 40's and lows around 10 to 25 F. It will begin warming fairly quickly into March where the highs will get into the 50's and the lows begin keeping above freezing.

I'm looking at putting up a 17' x 30' hoop house that will be about 11' high and covered with 6 mil greenhouse film. I will put about 72 plants inside (6 rows of 12 plants). If I can get ripe tomatoes by May 1 will corner the early market where I sell.

I am considering heating the hoop house with at least one kerosene heater like the one I am linking here. Any information as to my being stupid about this would be appreciated.

Charley
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FdKEfgod5RkA1A
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

http://www.builditsolar.com/Referenc...s/HeatLoss.htm

Plug in the surface area of your hoophouse, and this link should tell you the amount of heat you will gain over the outside temp. The R value of your plastic is about .6

Do you not have electricity in the hoophouse? The heat from the kerosene heater will go straight up. It would work better with a fan to mix the air.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #3
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Using a Kerosene heater will produce combustion gasses, which can kill. Please be careful and vent to the outside.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #4
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

A double wall of plastic can help reduce the rate of heat loss by quite a bit. You might want to look into that if you are still at the planning stage. And absolutely be safe!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Agree CO poisoning is a risk, adequate ventilation is crucial. An inexpensive CO monitor might he a good idea to be safe.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2014   #6
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I appreciate everybody's input. The heater I linked to claims to be for indoor use and no venting is required. I am now pretty flummoxed over the price of kerosene. One place wants $44 for 5 gallons. Perhaps it can burn cheaper kerosene but I haven't checked that out yet. If that thing burns .6 gals per hour on low to last 12 hours that would not be economical, especially if it needs to be on high to warm the greenhouse. I don't have electricity at this site so I have to come up with kerosene or propane to heat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Agree CO poisoning is a risk, adequate ventilation is crucial. An inexpensive CO monitor might he a good idea to be safe.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2014   #7
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

When a friend of mine was little his family used to use a propane heater in their house that was supposed to be for indoor use. Needless to say he was only 12 when he was in a coma for 3 weeks. Thank God he is not brain dead from the incident. Just a reminder that combustible gases indoors no matter how safe they claim to be can fail and lead to a bad situation. I like the solar suggestion. A larger initial purchase but will be cheaper in the long run.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2014   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Unless Charley plans on sleeping in the green house I dont think he has much to worry about.
Headaches and sleepiness will set in, but a Co monitor is cheap insurance for anyone that uses anything that puts out combustion gases.

The price of the kerosine you saw is over the top it should be about 3 something a gallon.

I ran across this here too at the big box stores but I found a place that will pump it from a larger tank that is cheaper, much cheaper.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #9
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I have used unvented kerosene heaters for years in a high tunnel. The only problem I ever had was the plants closest to the heater outgrew the others by nearly double!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #10
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

I know from using kerosene heaters in cabins and campers they will leave a residue on the walls and furniture. It leaves a smell and is impossible to get rid of. I don't know if it would affect taste and have never tried it for growing. Just something to think about.
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #11
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I put up a hoop house over my garden one winter. I found that keeping it warm enough to keep the plants alive was untenable, and I'm in a milder climate than you. However, if you want to try, I would suggest putting black containers of water where they can soak up the heat during the day. It helps ameliorate the nighttime lows.

The other problem I had with the hoop house was wind. I don't know how you are constructing yours, but the supports in mine were made of PVP. The whole thing would rock in strong winds, and inevitably some of the supports would come loose. It was also very difficult to seal it well enough to keep the wind out, which stole a lot of the heat.

Now, on a calm and sunny day, it was a beautiful thing. It was warm enough inside that one of the cats used to flake out inside while I was puttering around with the plants.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #12
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

What if you dug a really big hole instead?

http://www.inspirationgreen.com/pit-greenhouses.html

If I ever live somewhere with a backyard and a water table lower than the roots of my lawn, I am totally building one of these.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #13
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Dang it, tlintx, now I want one of those in addition to my solar heated greenhouse.

I'm gonna need a bigger yard...
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #14
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I KNOW! And I don't even need one. Talk about overkill for some cool season crops in the summer and the two months of cold we get. But they're gorgeous and apparently quite effective. Presumably if built well safer than a heater?
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote