Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 22, 2006   #31
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

Hi jt

Great to be here. I said I wasn't going to get into the which is which thing with pepper shapes but.... I don't know how you ultimately determine which is "correct". I may have a pepper that matches the one of my source but how do I know my source is correct, or his source? These debates have gone on about a bunch of different peppers as long as I have been growing them. ( Remember the USDA pepper picture that had a whole lot of pod shapes?) When you add to natural shape variation the factors of different names and languages, it's pretty hard to sort.

I do remember the chart you mentioned but don't know how to locate it.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #32
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

On the same note. Last year I grew out several "Scotch Bonnets" to try and sort them out. This is another where there is a "True" shape.The results:

http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/sb_or_not
Old February 22, 2006   #33
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Default Re: Billy Goat pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
This pic at the link below, kindly provided above by Jennifer, is a dead ringer for the Mystery...

http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/image/49151188
Grub, my Billy Goat seeds were from John F so that just about solves the mystery I'd say. Nice pepper - thanks John F!

PP
Patrina_Pepperina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #34
JohnF
Tomatovillian™

Grub

Flower from my Billy Goat

Old February 23, 2006   #35
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
jt, that C.L. in NC would very likely be our Craig, nctomatoman! (BTW, I just found your email caught in my spam filter Glad you got my peppery package.)
Jeff,

Kinda (OK, completely) off subject, but just today tried your 'peppery package' with some wild rice. Most excellent! Much more subtle than expected. I used a 2 centimeter cube along with 1 can fat-free chicken broth and maybe a 1/2 cup purified water to cook 1/2 cup wild rice. This is going to be an excellent addition to my burritos.

Don't think there is a cooking catagory here in Tomatoville, but must admit haven't ventured into other than the pepper threads.

Many thanks for your generous gift!

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2006   #36
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Flower Pic

Hi John F,

Leet me first say you are an excellent photographer to take such a sharp macro speciment shot of a pepper flower. I just took a look at mine and they're tiny flowers, but exactly the same as the one you show.

So I thank you and Patrina for solving the mystery of the crossed peachy Billy Goat pepper Plenty more to come and nice and hot and tasty, too.

JT,
Would you care to elaborate on the pepper package? Is it like a pepper stock cube? Sounds great. And there is a recipe section at this site for tomatoes, but just create a thread within the appropriate category, ie, snacks, mains, whatever and I'll give it a whirl.

All the best,
Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2006   #37
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Would you care to elaborate on the pepper package?
Grub,

Yep...

I was sooo happy that it wasn't a package of Vegemite. (sorry, Patrina) It was kinda like a paste only thicker consistency. Dissolved rather easily with a little coaxing from a spoon.

It's hard to explain the generosity of my fellow chile-heads. Yesterday I was astonished to receive a gift box in the mail from Ian in England. (He's owner of Horned Fox Sauces) Spicy Lime And Lemon Marmalade & Spicy Blackcurrant Jam that they mfg for this guy: http://www.awtshop.com/shop.asp?page=conserves And AWT's Hot Mango And Chilli Sauce that is (presumably) the same as this: http://www.roomforaview.com/hornedfo...uct_mango.html It's totally unreal how many gift boxes of hot sauces, hot peppers and even cookbooks (JohnF, Beth & others) that I've received over the last few years. Seeds galore & not to forget Tomatovillian Fusion's box of Sci-fi paperbacks.

A thankful jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #38
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Cool

Wow! Great package, JT. Worth keeping the label to stick on the fridge. I reckon I could make something like that. A kind of sambal olek block or nam prik. All I need is the time
Old February 28, 2006   #39
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Craig

Hey Craig,
Was there anything great about the original Billy Goat? I'm looking for new hot pepper flavors. That is my new-season pepper mission
Grub
Old February 28, 2006   #40
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hmmm....since Billy Goat was my first Chinense tried, and it was very productive, attractive and unique in shape and color - and the aroma of the cut peppers reminded me really of ripe cherries (not sure if they still do!) - it will have a fond spot in my heart. They are way too hot for me to eat - I like midly hot food, but have yet to develop a passion for the unusual tone of the Habanero family...I grow hot peppers for the seeds and the "science" of it all! I can slip some seed into my next package to Patrina, however, so a few of you down under can try out at least what was the real deal as sent to me.
Old February 28, 2006   #41
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default That Would Be great

Only if it's not too much trouble, Craig. I'm supposing you have a fair bit on your plate.

The faux flesh- or apricot-coloured Billy Goat is still very interesting, with a really distinctive smell.

Been eating one a day