Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 16, 2008   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing Sweet Corn in Containers this Year *PICS*

I am running a bit of an "experiment" this year, as I am the only goof-ball growing corn in Silicon Valley (all the farms have been replaced by office complexes). In photo #1, I planted corn on April 6.

In photo #2, I planted the same sweet corn on the same April 6 date (right EarthTainer). Now compare the size and vigor of the two. I staged a second planting in the 'Tainer on the left April 29.

Hmmm....maybe I can convert those blue Walmart tubs into EarthTainers next season....

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2008   #2
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Can you give us an update on how your plants are doing, Ray? I just came across this thread today and I'm curious how you're making out with your 'corn project'. I once tried growing corn in containers, but had them indoors in front of a window. Unfortunately, the sun did not shine through enough hours of the day so my 'project' bit the dust. Ahh, but I didn't expect it to work being indoors anyways.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2008   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

So far, so good with the corn experiment this year:

The 'Tainer on the right was planted from seed on April 6, and the one on the left was started April 29.

Now seeing corn emerge. This one is about 4 inches as of today. Hope to be eating some of it soon.

Ray
Old June 23, 2008   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

So much for knee high by the 4th of July at Ray's "Tainer" farm.
Old June 23, 2008   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ami,

Yeah, I wish I had more sunlit space as I would like to have 10 more 'Tainers growing corn - - but my yard is out of usable space which would get 6+ hours of sun exposure.

While I thought tomato plants grew fast in their 'Tainers, it is impressive to see how fast corn grows in these things.

Ray
Old June 23, 2008   #6
Addicted
Tomatovillian™

Ray,i have some corn going too...18 of em.They looked like crap when i bought them but after about two days in some better conditions they seem to have perked up.Tis just an experiment though,if it works great,if not i lost 4 bucks.

Jason.
Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2008   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Got so excited today after seeing about 10 ears growing that I built another 'Tainer (serial #29). Found a spot that gets about 6 hours of sun a day, so we'll see how it grows. Planted 24 seeds on 4" centers. Should get approx 36 or so ears in 90 days.

Ray
Old June 24, 2008   #8
beck3465
Tomatovillian™

I was really successful growing sweet corn in two 3'x3' foot self watering planter containers I bought at Gardeners Supply. I just pulled the last crop a few days ago and replanted for another try. I watered from the top.Some of the best corn I've ever eaten!!!!
beck3465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2008   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

beck,

As this is my first year growing corn, how do you know exactly when is the optimal time to pick it? Also, are there any pollen issues I need to attend to?

Ray
Old June 24, 2008   #10
beck3465
Tomatovillian™

The tassles wil begin to turn brown.Also, carefully pull back the shuck and the corn kernels should reach to the tip of the ear. Put your fingernail in a kernel. If the juice is clear it's not quite ready, you want it to be milky. If there is no juice, you waited too long. If some kernels look dry, don't throw the ear away, because when you boil the ear it will rehydrate. Also you can begin to tell because the ears will look filled out. There is supposedly a seven day window to pick sweet corn for optimal taste. Best of Corn Luck!!!!
Becky
Old June 24, 2008   #11
beck3465
Tomatovillian™

OOPS!!! Forgot the pollen question. As long as you have 3 or 4 rows with 3 to 4 per row you should be fine. I did have to add extra potting mix around the base of the stalks like a "hilled" row when the stalks got to a certain height so the wouldn't fall over. It was really fun watching the corn grow!!!
Becky
Old June 24, 2008   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Becky,

Thanks very much for your detailed information!!

I am growing Gurney's "gotta-have-it" sweet corn. Here is the link:

http://gurneys.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_69948

So far, I am pleased with the corn's growth and health. No insect problems (maybe they don't know how to get to Silicon Valley) yet.

It looks like I can go from seed to maturity in about 90 days, so I may have 3 planting cycles this year, before we get the January first freeze.

Ray
Old June 24, 2008   #13
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

They really shot up from the previous pics, Ray. Looks great. Saturday I planted a few kernels but didn't see anything growing when I visited the garden today. Will probably just have to be content this year with my garlic, potatoes and tomatoes. Then next year add a few other things in the mix, including corn.

Nice to see you're not having trouble with disease or anything else with your corn. Good luck, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2008   #14
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

Regarding insects, since virtually no one has grown corn in Silicon Valley for probably the past 10 years, maybe all the bugs have gone elsewhere.

I also learned something today (wish I had seen this yesterday before I planted the third 'Tainer with corn), was at the above link I posted, several of the reader reviews instruct to soak the hard corn seeds for 24 hours in warm water the day before planting to increase the germination rate. Excellent idea!!

Ray
Old June 24, 2008   #15
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I am jealous! A couple of farmers up in Matanuska Valley (our agriculture hub) grow some type of corn...very expensive and limited at the farmer's market. I don't know the variety but it is small. Our season is just not for corn growing so I will have to settle for looking at your neat photos and buying at the chain grocery stores.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote