Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 2, 2016   #1
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Default Long/Indeterminate inflorescence

I saw a couple of times cherry type tomatoes that have incredibly long flower and fruit clusters.Here is what I mean:

My question is,are those flower clusters indeterminate,does each flower truss end divide into new flowers indefinitely? Because I could swear I saw somewhere clusters that are 1m long and STILL have new flowers at the end.Also,would be neat if anyone knows names of cultivars with this trait.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #2
Kongobongo
Tomatovillian™

That's the coolest thing.boy I'd love to grow a plant like that!
Kongobongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here's another one with long flat trusses of cherries

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Goldkrone

And the are many more.

I just got seeds for this variety that I think will be grown out by my seed producers next summer.

Another one,first the pictures

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...64.Hhq77USjWNk

And now the links

https://www.google.com/#q=Hundreds+a...s+tomato&hl=en

Most seed sources are in England but some here at Tville might have it and if you post in the Wanted seed subforum, actually several here from England who might be able to get it for you.

Again,many more,I just don't have time to do the Google searches or searches here at Tville.And if it were me I'd start with a search here at Tville first for Hundreds and Thousands.

Carolyn
Old September 3, 2016   #4
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Hey I found a term for it,it's called a "raceme" inflorescence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raceme

Apparently there are tomato cultivars with this trait,anyone know any cultivars with it? It's incredibly useful,since it allows cherry tomatoes (and perhaps can be bred into larger fruited ones) to put out their maximum yield in given conditions.
Old September 3, 2016   #5
LDiane

Did you take the picture? Did you ask the grower what the name of the tomato is?

You could buy some of the tomatoes and save the seeds.
Old September 3, 2016   #6
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
Did you take the picture? Did you ask the grower what the name of the tomato is?

You could buy some of the tomatoes and save the seeds.
Unfortunatelly,no-I found it on google pictures,simply by typing "hybrid cherry".I've seen dosens of cherry cultivars in my area but never ones like this.I have a strain of solanum pimp. that can grow clusters of 30+ small fruits in a single cluster but they always terminate at some point,while there appears to exist a trait that allows new flowers to be indefinitely created at the growing point of inflorescenses.I assume I would not be able to grow clusters like 3m long,but still,like I said,it would actually allow the plant to put in the highest possible amount of energy into fruits-increaseing yields.
Old September 3, 2016   #7
LDiane

I just did a Google search for "tomato with long flat truss" and found the photo
you posted.

It is Rapunzel f1, named for the girl in the fairy tale who let her long hair hang down
out of the tower she was kept in.

Last edited by LDiane; September 3, 2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old September 6, 2016   #8
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

sweet million was supposed to,but failed in my garden to measure up.
The plant is dead now, so no pics.
I was just able to salvage 1 lateral to try to clone,the cluster only had 5 blossoms on it.
I bought it as seeds in a peat pod you plant,I forgot the brand.

Last edited by slugworth; September 6, 2016 at 01:16 PM. Reason: value added
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2016   #9
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I saw those Rapunzel huge truss photos, and had some other seed I was ordering from TGS, so on a whim ordered Rapunzel F1 as well. My trusses were nowhere as long as those in the picture. I suspect those photos have been doctored for advertisement. Mine were not that much longer than other similar cherries. Taste was fine, sweet and a little crunchy, but I won't grow them again.

That bottom truss is not part of the one above. I'd sure like to hear if any home grower has seen the extra long ones.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2016   #10
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

I was kinda aiming for finding out if such a thing as "infinite" inflorescence exists.Rapunzel maybe has long ones but they're not indefinite since they terminate with a final flower.
Old November 23, 2016   #11
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

I believe the stock photo of Supersweet 100 shows long raceme clusters though nowhere near as long as that pictured...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #12
Sydney Grower
Tomatovillian™

I grew Rapunzel last season and didn't get trusses that length. Against my better judgment I bought a Rapunzel seedling again this year. I'll let you know if I get better truss length this year.
Sydney Grower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #13
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Grower View Post
I grew Rapunzel last season and didn't get trusses that length. Against my better judgment I bought a Rapunzel seedling again this year. I'll let you know if I get better truss length this year.
Maybe you need to hit it with a hi-P fertilizer regularly; I had loads & loads of flowers last year using 9-45-15 from the start. I don't think a variety like this is made to be grown organically [guessing you may say that's how you grow.]
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #14
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I saw those Rapunzel huge truss photos, and had some other seed I was ordering from TGS, so on a whim ordered Rapunzel F1 as well. My trusses were nowhere as long as those in the picture. I suspect those photos have been doctored for advertisement. Mine were not that much longer than other similar cherries. Taste was fine, sweet and a little crunchy, but I won't grow them again.

That bottom truss is not part of the one above. I'd sure like to hear if any home grower has seen the extra long ones.
It's not a photomontage. I think it's a manner of growing and mainly fertilization (I agree with the Korney 19).
On my picture Charmant F1, I will send you the seeds of this tomato next week. You'll be able to try, if you can to grow plants with so many fruits. I'll try it too.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charmant F1.JPG (373.7 KB, 81 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #15
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, I look forward to the seeds and will do my best to grow some of those long trusses. We will have to compare notes and pictures next summer!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote