Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 9, 2015   #286
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Here's a strange one ........ picked yesterday - first impression was "what a beautiful, perfectly shaped tomato" - then turned it over!!

Sweet Scarlet Dwarf, 11 oz.

is this something that will continue in future generations - haven't sliced it yet
Attached Files
File Type: pdf thumb_DSC01049_1024.pdf (223.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: pdf thumb_DSC01050_1024.pdf (192.7 KB, 78 views)
Old August 10, 2015   #287
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have seen a lot of those "growths" this year. On the greenhouse and high tunnels tomatoes, too, not just the outside ones. any information about them is welcome. One of my first tomatoes to turn had one of them. I assume it was from the cold weather we had when the buds were forming, but I really was just guessing.
Old August 10, 2015   #288
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey Denise - I've never seen that on ANY dwarf - suspect it is very much weather related! But you got a red one - there is a bit of continuing segregation going on - mine was a spectacular tasting yellow (and essentially what we will be calling Dwarf Golden Gypsy!)
Old August 10, 2015   #289
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

Googling "mutant tomato" images brings up similar and even more extreme mutants.

Is there a nuclear power plant nearby? Take a look at this!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-disaster.html

Last edited by AdrianaG; August 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM.
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2015   #290
Nannon
Tomatovillian™

I have just ordered some dwarf seeds and I'm excited to give them a go. I have missed the best of the season here, but I plan on trying to grow a few in pots and hope to get some tomatoes before the heat and humidity really kick in, then grow the rest next year once it cools down. The varieties I'm trying are Rosella Purple, Rosella Crimson, Summertime Green and Wherokowhai. I'm pretty excited to see how they go.
Nannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2015   #291
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Yukon Gold will work in 3 gallons ...

Hey all ,

Yukon Gold did work in 3 gallons or (Sub 5 gallons )

but this year I do not think it was as happy as last year ...due to the

record heat with small container .........but it did produce and I did collect

seeds .

next Season I will try Yukon gold again ...back to 5 gallon container .

Also considering for next year :

Dwarf blazing beauty ,Dwarf wild Fred ,Bundaberg Rumball, Rosella purple ,

Dwarf Arctic rose , Dwarf Purple Heart and Boronia ............

sighhhhhh ..........so many Tomatoes ....so little time .

Old September 26, 2015   #292
RT_Peasant
Tomatovillian™

I grew 3 dwarfs for the first time this year in 15 gal pots - Arctic Rose, Rosella Purple, and Dwarf Sweet Sue. I also grew 4 indeterminates in the same size containers. From R to L in this picture: Arctic Rose, Rosella Purple, Sweet Sue, and Cherokee Purple.
15 gal containers.jpg

The dwarfs weren't much smaller than the indeterminates (ok, Arctic Rose was, but the other 2 weren't), but they were much better suited to growing in containers. The stout central stalk made them very easy to support. A 3 ring hoop was easily enough. In hindsight, a single bamboo stake might have been enough. I supported 2 indeterminates with CRW cages, and 2 with 3 ring hoops. Both 3 ring hoops capsized under the weight of the sprawling indeterminates. The CRW cages worked fine, but they're big and make it very hard to move the containers.

The dwarfs were much healthier than the indeterminates. I watered with a hose once a day, and by the end of the day the indeterminates would always wilt, and the dwarfs looked perfect. I don't know if it has to do with the dwarfs' tough crinkly leaves, something to do with their roots, or something else, but it's very noticeable.

The dwarfs grew from 2/3 to the same size as the indeterminates, but they produced probably 3 times as many fruits per plant. The fruit setting ability of these 3 was astonishing, especially the Arctic Rose:
arctic rose2.jpg

As for flavor, the Arctic Rose was mild and ho hum. Good enough for cooking, but not good enough for sandwiches or eating straight.

The Rosella Purple was outstanding. Like a large plum-sized cherry tomato. Very sweet, with enough tanginess to balance it out. I was hoping it would be as good as Cherokee Purple because it's so much better suited to container gardening, but IMO, Cherokee Purple tastes a bit better - just a bit more complex and balanced.

Dwarf Sweet Sue was a surprise. From the name, I was expecting a sweet tomato, but these were tart. They ranged from mildly tart to tart like a lemon. They're beautiful to look at, and I love the growth habit of the plants, but the taste was shocking.

Perhaps a bit off-topic for this thread, but the 2 best indeterminates in the containers were Cherokee Purple and Big Zac. Neither produced very many tomatoes, but those that they did produce were outstanding, maybe 9.5 for both.

For next year, I'm going to bring back Rosella Purple, and I'd like to add a pink/red tomato with big flavor, perhaps Rosella Crimson.
RT_Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2015   #293
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Dwarf Sweet Sue was a surprise. From the name, I was expecting a sweet tomato, but these were tart. They ranged from mildly tart to tart like a lemon. They're beautiful to look at, and I love the growth habit of the plants, but the taste was shocking.
Has anybody else found this tartness? If so, are they tart in a Green Zebra way or more so?
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2015   #294
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I think that there are always going to be seasonal variations (weather) - and people's taste buds definitely vary widely. Sweet Sue was quite sweet for me this year, and Blazing Beauty and Perth Pride and Mr Snow quite tart - which is consistent with my experiences. The yellow Sneezies also change a bit as they ripen from a pale to a deeper yellow.

I think we are all still learning a lot about all of these varieties - they are in the grand scheme of things not only very new, but perhaps still going through some minor segregation (most are at the F8 to F10, even F12 in some cases, generations, but some of the crosses were quite "wide"- big differences between the parents).
Old September 27, 2015   #295
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

RT, if you are looking for a red with big flavor, Sweet Scarlet Dwarf is one you really must try. For a pink, Rosella Crimson or Sweet Adelaide will fit the bill.
Old September 28, 2015   #296
RT_Peasant
Tomatovillian™

I learned something today about this variety, and I want to take back my previous assessment. I had been picking these tomatoes when they were canary yellow, and they were all tart. So I stopped eating them a few weeks ago. I was out in the garden today, and noticed that one had turned from bright yellow to more of a goldenrod color. I tried it, and WOW what a difference. Tangy, SWEET, and delicious! Hard to describe the flavor, because I've never tasted a tomato like this before, but it was reminiscent of green table grapes or sweet lemonade. I will be growing this one again next year!
RT_Peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2019   #297
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
All - Lee just reminded me of a post that I was meaning to make (thanks, Lee) - and here it is!

For all of you who purchased the new dwarfs from Victory and/or Sandhill (and end up doing so once TGSC gets Summertime Green and Dwarf Wild Fred listed and available) - please provide your impressions, feedback and experiences in this thread, making clear which one you are talking about.

I can ensure that this feedback gets to each of the offering companies so that they are clear on what they need to select for going forward. It is also extremely important information for Patrina and me as we monitor the characteristics, stability, and especially, success (or not) - the customer satisfaction part - to ensure that we can refine the project to best meet gardeners' needs.

So, please feel free to have at it in this thread as the season progresses. What is going to be especially important are those things we didn't have the resources to fully work out - yields, maturity dates, disease tolerance (or not) - evidence that things are not quite yet stable - you get the idea!

It will be really exciting to read about how these new varieties do for you all this coming season. Thanks in advance for your open and honest feedback!

Hello Gary
I pray you or doing super.

I am finally Free to focusing on just Farming ending all my research and studies. I can not find Miss Carolyn

We need your help in locating Miss Carolyn. You have been like a son to her, Amen!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote