Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 11, 2009   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default First crosses harvested

Today I harvested the first ripe fruit from spring crosses: Bloody Butcher x Large Barred Boar and Stupice x Freckled Child. I'll try to turn around F2 seed this summer/fall for these. I also made my last group of crosses for the season. I have over a hundred different crosses set, and other than special projects, most crosses were designed to get earliness, shorter stature, stripes, and/or flavor. I am thankful to the several web resources on crossing technique. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I've been hitting 80-90% success rate the last few weeks.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2009   #2
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear of your success. Hope you find what you're after in the crosses. It's an enjoyable pastime.
Old July 25, 2009   #3
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Nice work -- good success rate. You're gonna need a ton of space to grow those out. I'll look forward to hearing about promising new lines coming out of MN.
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you ought to thank the donors of the several crosses your growing this year. Ami

Last edited by amideutch; July 26, 2009 at 02:03 AM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2009   #5
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I too myself grew out some F1 seeds from a cross made last year between AGGXSM. It actually made a nice hybrid. I've got 20 F2's sprouted and I'm seeing 20% PL. I hope I can grow maybe 2 PL and 2 RL of these and get some fruit to sample before the season ends here which isn't until Oct or Nov. I cant wait!

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2009   #6
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Maybe you out to thank the donors of the several crosses your growing this year. Ami
Ami - Certainly the F2 populations I am growing out this year from pv, pbud and vince the chemist got me hooked - for which I will be eternally grateful. The crosses I made this summer are new and unrelated, and will keep me busy for a long time. I've certainly learned a great deal this past year at Tomatoville, and hope I can eventually contribute more information than I take away.

Frogz
Old July 26, 2009   #7
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Frogs,

It is a certainly addictive yet healthy pasttime. It is probably one of my most enjoyable recreational activities. So far all of the blossums that set fruit, which I have cross pollinated, were succsessful crosses. One point of unsolicited advice... You can emasculate flowers alot later than is described in the posts I have seen. Typically I do this well after the flower opens. The key is to yank the stamens when they are still green yellow and not deep yellow and bursting open with pollen. Emasculation is much easier for me, at this stage. Also the stigma is usually sticky and ready to go at this point so I just drown it with pollen once right after emasculation. This is just what is easiest for me and has worked so far.
Old July 26, 2009   #8
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

thanks Vince, I've noticed the same thing. When I am making a RL x RL cross I emasculate a little earlier. Until I grow these out I won't know for sure.
Old July 28, 2009   #9
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried emasculation at the stage you do it. Sounds like it would work fine. Thanks for the tip.