Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 28, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Peas and Sweets

The peas are moving right along, full of blooms and the first inch-long pods are appearing.

I put two sprouting 'Jewel' sweet potatoes from last year's crop in a window box to grow slips. We're just doing five hills this year as we like sweet potatoes but just don't eat them a lot. Since they are stored in a closet, maybe it's just "out of sight, out of mind."

There's a You Tube video from Deep South Homestead about growing sweet potato slips that I found to be very useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkfXmNv_7k

For the last two years I've just suspended a sweet in a jar of water but this method seems to be producing a lot more slips and they look pretty lush. I'll probably get all five slips just from the one potato.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019   #2
Lasairfion
Tomatovillian™

Your pea pods are about as long as my pea plants, which are just coming up now. Light frosts are due next week, and can be as late as May here.
Lasairfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019   #3
PlainJane

My peas are all done for the season so I’ll just look at yours.