Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old August 22, 2013   #1
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Default A gardener I follow on Youtube

‘Villians,

If you’re a fan of the ‘Bayou Gardener’ on Youtube; Donald, i.e. webcajun.

The Bayou Gardener also has a fan that makes his own youtube videos; and that is… MHPGardener. (Mobile home park gardener).

Real name Bobby_ has a greenhouse on his mobile home park property and he knows- and shows how to get max production out of a combination of traditional container growing, and hydroponics.

At the Youtube site, just search ‘Dutch Bucket’ or MHPgardener- and his video(s) will show you how it’s done. This growing technique, though simple, appears to be quite successful, in a greenhouse environment at least.

Though I don’t have a greenhouse, I am a subscriber, and maybe you can get some tips from Bobby the MHPgardener as well.
-Randy
Old August 22, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget John @ Growing your greens

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2013   #3
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Donald and Bobby are great. I can say with confidence they are the best I have seen and I have learned a lot. Actually........ think I'll go watch more now before I go pick okree ... !
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2013   #4
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I also watch Usc529
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2013   #5
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

I also watch Bobby, he is great!
Raiquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #6
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've been watching WebCajun and MHPGardener for years and this year I couldn't take watching Bobby grow tomatoes in dutch bickets so I bought a cheap GH from Ebay and set up a small system. I bought plants from Wally World to get a jump start, I cleaned off the soil and set them in the buckets on Feb 17th and I'm amazed at the growth even with the cold temps here in South Louisiana. I have never had a GH or used hydroponics but Bobby explains it really well and anyone can do this is you follow his method. Here's a few pics
1st day

10 days later

Mar 3rd and the flowers are developing

Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #7
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

looks fairly simple, excited to see your results

is the pump on 24x7?
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #8
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes my pump is on 24/7 but Bobby stated he sets it for 3 times a day. I bought a cheap 264 GPH pump from Harbor Freight for $13 along with their $7 drip starter kit. It's small and barely draws any current, haven't noticed it in the electric bill. I'm collecting free buckets from Wally World bakery to try plants outside as soon as the weather breaks, I'll still have my normal tomatoes in soil but I have to do some experimenting to see if the summer heat will stunt these in buckets.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #9
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

How did your dutch buckets turn out? The pale tops look like it might be an early onset iron deficiency (pH over 6.4 problem). I've killed my hydro stuff a few times with that one

One recommendation based on problems I've had... Consider painting or wrapping your buckets with something to block light. White is a good color for a covering because it keeps your res cooler. Mylar works well too. If your res is getting too hot (over 74 degrees) consider burying it to use the earth as a heat sink.

You're using one of my favorite containers for a res. 27 gallon HDX box. Whoever designed that box obviously was going after the hydro gardener market.

I agree that MHPGardener is one of the best hydro tomato guys on youtube. His system works. When I say his system I mean the system he made famous on youtube. It's the dutch system and the Europeans are at least a decade ahead of us in hydro.

Anyway, if this one ended badly stick with it. It's easy to screw hydro up but it's really fun and you will get better at growing in general with what you learn from oopses.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2015   #10
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Also a big fan of mhpGardener. Have been growing in my Dutch buckets for three years now. First year went well until I lost "control" of the TDS and it completely my plants growth. Last year I made some very simple mistakes (not hydro related) and lots of rain had me battling blight and losing. This year I have redesigned with fewer buckets and I'm looking forward to a good season ahead.!
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote