Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 18, 2015   #31
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Yeah that looks great, I will run it by the hubs and see what he thinks. Hopefully it will be a good compromise. I'm probably going to do a PVC version of the RGGS, very hot/dry here and evap is a problem. You wouldn't happen to know if those are 5 gallon or 7 gallon bags? I'm debating between which size to get. I'm also debating which brand of root pouch to go with. Since I'd be punching a hole in the bottom it might effect the overall longevity of the bag. Boxer browns look like the sturdiest, but they're significantly more expensive than the 3-4 year rated ones.

Last edited by Vespertino; January 18, 2015 at 12:09 PM.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #32
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

The guy in the "cadillac" setup used 10 gallons. For you, I think 7 gallons is much more flexible if you want them to all line up and look the same size.
You can also set your gutter/pvc in ground and mulch around the setup so you don't even see the watering system - youtube Larry Hall and Hybrid system. I would get the charcoal ones (3-4yr ones.) At the end of that you might decide to garden differently or you might decide you like being able to start fresh after 4 yrs... Mine has a hole in the bottom for the net cup.

Last edited by luigiwu; January 18, 2015 at 12:13 PM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #33
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies re: the kiddie pool;

Is that kale or broccoli? and that is in a 1 gallon Grow Bag? You pepper plant looks great, is that in another 1 gallon grow bag? Both are sitting in water?

I don't have any 1 gallon, but have tons of 2 gallon; I can't even imagine anything big could grow in a 1 gallon.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #34
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Those aren't my pictures but I believe its kale. I imagine everything is most likely sitting in a constant 1/2-inch of water. I will be trying the 1 gallon root pouches in 2015 for the first time.
But here are some videos from larry that show case what he's done in the 1-gallon bags:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYPwpREvTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV3qR76OFMc