Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old March 12, 2015   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried Skyway. I don't have nematodes, so that part of the breeding would be a waste on me.

Thanks, barefoot. I'll probably always have some Big Beef, because I sell plants of it in the spring. It is a variety that I think every home gardener should at least try. But as far as market growing goes, we are trying to move more toward multiple plantings of determinate varieties. Big Beef produces all year, but towards the end of the year, the fruit get smaller and more bug-bitten.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #17
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
4k lbs wow! Mine is only 12x24 as I am a backyard grower and didn't have that much area to use for a high tunnel. Do you grow without the tunnels? If so what would you say the % difference in production is from the tunnel to the field? I have considered covering all my tomatoes so I can better control their moisture levels. We have been getting so much rain the past few years its really hard to stop cracking/splitting. I laid out my beds in a way so I could later add high tunnels rather easily but wonder if the investment would be worth it and if it is less or more labor?

And very nice Cole, you guys seem to be at the place I'm trying to get to as a grower.
I do grow a few determinates and a bicolor in the open field. As far as production differences, The tunnel has always been higher by prolly 25-30%. The only reason is a longer harvest window in the tunnel(less foliardiseases)though size drops dramatically later in the season because I don't continue to prune once harvest starts.

If I ever quit market gardening, I will most likely grow my entire garden under the cover of a tunnel.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #18
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Very nice tunnel and tomato plants! Are you continuing to grow Big Beef in your prefab?

Ginny
Yes. I grew Big Beef the first year it was released in the open field and liked it. The next year it went into a tunnel and has been my tunnel variety since. For a few years, I would try different varieties just to compare them to Big Beef, but I haven't found a variety yet that has the size, quality, or production it does in my tunnels!

I actually don't grow them open field anymore, though I love the variety I think they shine brightest in the tunnel.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #19
spereira
Tomatovillian™

Default rotation?

Question for the market tunnel growers..do you plant tomatoes year after year?

Or do you have more than one tunnel and rotate crops?
spereira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have not yet rotated crops. I don't have nematodes or other soil disease problems, so far so good.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote