Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Default Will green tomatoes on a plant continue to grow

and ripen in the extreme heat? I know blossoms will not pollinate in extreme temperatures and drop off, but if there are newly formed green tomatoes starting on the plant, will they continue to grow if the plant is still alive.when temperatures reach the 110 degree point? . I am in southern Nevada with temperatures similar to Phoeniix, AZ (100-115 degrees in the worst of the summer)

I know several years ago I had green tomatoes on a plant I planted in midsummer that had many good sized green tomatoes on it that would not ripen once the cold hit. I picked the larger tomatoes off and brought them in the house, but still would not ripen.

Is this the same in a heat situation when temperatures rise to 110-115 and tomatoes are still green?

I just googled the question and the answer I got was "No" once tempertures exceed 85 degrees. But then I saw this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdWb...=Lisa%27sWorld

Last edited by schill93; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:31 PM. Reason: Need to add something.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Last year was the Hottest for me, in all my years of farming: My Green Tomatoes on my Lescana Large Tomatoes were unaffected by the Heat, as long as I watered the plants at the end of the day.

I will be putting my Lescana Tomato Plants in pure direct sunlight, to study this Plant, because it is going to be another "Hot" year for us Farmers, here in Virginia.

I only pull a Green tomato with a little color showing.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote