Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 11, 2016   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Expensive giveaway

Saw on the news the other day where this grocery store paid 1.1 million Yen which is equivalent to $11,000 in our money for a bunch of grapes. I guess it a very special grown grape called Ruby Roman. They said that the grocery store was going to just hand them out to customers.

Would you pay $11,000 for a single bunch of grapes and then just hand them out?

It's nice that they are going to share them, but I could think of alot better things to do with that kind of money and there probably alot better tasting grapes around too.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #2
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Well, it is totally worth it now that you are in awe and talking about it and passing on the news just advertisement value by itself is worth it, although that may not be the store's intention they may simply do it for customer appreciation.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

NWG is right, that is cheap advertisement for that store, they are not only national news in Japan but around the world people are talking about the outrageous price for these grapes. Now they will get hordes of curious shoppers on the giveaway day, vying to take selfies with these million yen grapes and posting on social media . They will most likely buy something while they are there too. Crowds make one thirsty and hungry.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Those folks dont think the way we do by any stretch of the imagination.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Wait-Wait-Wait, I think there's an Articuno behind your ear. http://twinfinite.net/gallery/pokemo...os-how-to-get/

It's part of Pokémon Go http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-vi...es/pokemon-go/ It has made Nintendo stock go up very quickly. Aimed at the public in their 20s and 30s who grew up playing Pokémon. Better yet, it is first generation Pokémon when they were most popular. I have at least as many first generation Pokémon cards as I have tomato seed varieties.

Expensive grapes - I guess it works the same way - sort of.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Wait-Wait-Wait, I think there's an Articuno behind your ear. http://twinfinite.net/gallery/pokemo...os-how-to-get/

It's part of Pokémon Go http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-vi...es/pokemon-go/ It has made Nintendo stock go up very quickly. Aimed at the public in their 20s and 30s who grew up playing Pokémon. Better yet, it is first generation Pokémon when they were most popular. I have at least as many first generation Pokémon cards as I have tomato seed varieties.

Expensive grapes - I guess it works the same way - sort of.

And the app is getting A TON of free publicity from the news media this week. Not all good, but I'm sure it's caused many who haven't been playing to go download the app and find out what all the fuss is about.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Very good point about all the free advertising and your right. That didn't cross my mind. Just thinking about all that money being gone in a few bites and a swallow. Think I'd make them spit the seeds back out to try and grow. I know they wouldn't come true , but you never know. If I went to that store I would probably pick up a couple of things too.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2016   #8
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

In many towns/cities across the US, officially declared first fruit of the season is auctioned. Strawberries are commonly chosen in the Midwest. Sometimes it's first sweetcorn. The auction usually brings in thousands and the money goes to charity or a civic cause. A large business or perhaps the local mayor usually bids the highest.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote