Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2017   #316
bower
Tomatovillian™

We just took a run to the corner store this morning... in places the power lines were drooping so low, the car barely went under it without touching. Everywhere there are trees bent to the ground right to the road and a few hanging over it. I went out to snap a couple of pics in my driveway - branches bent to a few feet above the ground.
And it's hailing out! Some godless mix of precipitation is expected all day and twixt to snow in the evening. Just hoping we get enough rain to bring the ice off the trees, otherwise there will be lots more breakage with snow added on top!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg april23-ice.JPG (326.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg april23-iceload.JPG (411.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg howmuchice.JPG (236.0 KB, 74 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #317
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Ice storms are brutal to power lines.

I once dated a girl who worked at an orthopedic clinic. We only get an ice storm here every 2-3 years or so, but when it happened, it was really, really good for their business, because so many people would slip and fall, break a bone, and require surgery. So watch your step.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #318
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Wow. Ice storms are brutal to power lines.

I once dated a girl who worked at an orthopedic clinic. We only get an ice storm here every 2-3 years or so, but when it happened, it was really, really good for their business, because so many people would slip and fall, break a bone, and require surgery. So watch your step.
3 weeks ago I was on a construction site and stepped on a round rock on the side of a steep slope next to the curb and blacktop road.
I had my tool bag in my hand.
I knew there was no recovering so I launched myself away from the curb and onto the blacktop.
I tossed the bag tucked my arms in and rolled across the road and popped back up on my feet like it was no big deal.
Not bad for a 58 year old man.
The rolling and long fall was so dramatic everyone thought I was hurt.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #319
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Worth, , yes, so important to know how to roll with a fall. So many much younger
than us get hurt by trying to catch themselves up-right. I've gone down a few times
this past winter in the snow and pot-holes but just go with it and roll. Usually pop back
up or down a few minutes but fine.

Bower, wow. I follow NFLD PortRexton/TrinityEast weather daily and it is snowing now.
The Icebergs are all over the news here in NYC. Even a special airing tomorrow
morning is being advertised. (i have two berg bits in my freezer here)

It is near 70 here and sunny. My Tamarack i brought home years ago is budding. My
favorite tree. (smuggled in bare root).
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #320
bower
Tomatovillian™

Learning how to fall is definitely one of the best investments a person could make! I was never good at keeping my balance on ice though. I'd rather wait it out.
I'm expecting guests for dinner so I went out and beat as much ice off the trees as I could with a shovel. Not as bad underfoot as you might expect, thank goodness. It is above freezing now, and has started to rain heavily, but so far it's piling on the trees as still more ice instead of melting it off them. It's ridiculous!!!! You can barely see green on the conifers now.
We get some "silver thaw" pretty much every year usually in March, but only once in a long while does it get this bad. I remember one we had back in the '80s, the power was out for five days. So far my power's okay, and fingers crossed because I'm roasting a turkey... power, don't go!!!!
Old April 23, 2017   #321
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oakley, good thing you didn't make an early spring visit this year... the weather has been so bad, it is sure not worth it for a peek at an iceberg. Brrrr.
The ferry to Bell Island - 20 minute run - took 8 hours the other week, they couldn't get through the pack ice. People were posting photos of seals on the ice around the boat. Dolphins and whales got trapped some of the dolphins were rescued but the whales couldn't be helped. Polar bears in the news every few days.
OTOH the forecast for tomorrow is TEN DEGREES C!!! That is 50 F and it's gonna feel like the balm of summer to all of us here!!
Old April 23, 2017   #322
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Hail/snow has been the case here too for the last few days - with some pretty sunshine in between!
Better now than in May/June, which has also been known to happen... I remember one summer in the 80's, when there was snow in June and someone built a snowman on the lawn.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #323
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Mentioning nasty falls.. I am usually careful avoiding slippery spots, and I managed to live through the winter without mishaps.. only to slip and fall two weeks ago near the Uni. My left knee is still hurting (but healing slowly), I had scratches on my hands, and I also became dizzy even without hitting my head... Someone kindly called the emergency services, and the ambulance brought me back home.
So, spring weather and ice on the ground can be very very deceitful and dangerous.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #324
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Learning how to fall is definitely one of the best investments a person could make! I was never good at keeping my balance on ice though. I'd rather wait it out.
I'm expecting guests for dinner so I went out and beat as much ice off the trees as I could with a shovel. Not as bad underfoot as you might expect, thank goodness. It is above freezing now, and has started to rain heavily, but so far it's piling on the trees as still more ice instead of melting it off them. It's ridiculous!!!! You can barely see green on the conifers now.
We get some "silver thaw" pretty much every year usually in March, but only once in a long while does it get this bad. I remember one we had back in the '80s, the power was out for five days. So far my power's okay, and fingers crossed because I'm roasting a turkey... power, don't go!!!!
Hoping you have a quick defrost. That ice is hard on everything.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #325
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Cat wait to get my 72 plants outa the basement and start the sun, shade water..sun, shade water etc. Cloudy here and sixties Monday but tues and Wens look very good. Havent had a chance to till the fert into my garden yet but am absolutely chomping at the bit. Put out a 40ft row of Kohlrabi last wens and picked a handful of green onions today but my heart is in the big pinks.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #326
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
Cat wait to get my 72 plants outa the basement and start the sun, shade water..sun, shade water etc. Cloudy here and sixties Monday but tues and Wens look very good. Havent had a chance to till the fert into my garden yet but am absolutely chomping at the bit. Put out a 40ft row of Kohlrabi last wens and picked a handful of green onions today but my heart is in the big pinks.
It's coming soon I think! After the next day or so the 10 day forecast is calling for 70's for highs and 50's for lows. That would take us into the first week of May. If I had started my seed earlier I might have went ahead and set a few out. For now they are in the green house having been repotted and still a couple of weeks away from plant out. The last 3 or 4 years we have had very late cold snaps and my plants were getting too large before time to plant. I adjusted but so did that darn Mother Nature.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #327
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Storms are coming this way. Starting midnight we are supposed to get the. A flash flood warning in effect. Riight now it is calm before the storm.
It will continue into Wednesday before getting back to normal.
So no watering anything for at least a week from now. That is the positive side.
HAVE A NICE WEATHER !

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #328
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Upper 40's here this morning.
Fine by me.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #329
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

65 degrees and 76% humidity. No rain at all.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #330
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We've got rain. Almost 3.5" in less than 24 hours and it is still coming down.
Luckily there has been no winds and it is raining gently.With our sandy soil there is no mud . The water is soaked by the soil and goes down. The creek next to us is running at full capacity .

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote