Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 18, 2007   #16
mms
Tomatovillian™

Default Chicken Poo in Compost

Hello all,
I have composted for a couple of years and like most other people I add almost everything to my piles.
I plan to build a three bin system this year to simplify matters and hopefully make it a more efficient system.

One of the replies above hints at an answer to a question that my sister asked me yesterday.

She keeps chickens on her "farm" and she wanted to know if she could add the poo directly to the area where she grows vegetables, and if she could continue to do this after she plants this year.

I told her that most manure had to be aged, some more than others, and that I had read something that specifically mentioned chickens a while back but I didn't remember exactly what it said.

Hopefully someone here can give me some info that I can pass on to her.
From what she said, she has built up a pretty big pile of chicken manure.

What would be the best way for her to use the pile she already has?
And what should she do with the fresh stuff as it arrives?

Thanks from both of us,
MMS

I am a man,
but I can change,
if I have to....

I guess.
mms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2007   #17
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

Chicken manure should age for a long time. Close to a yr. When I moved to this house, the barn was filled with hay and chicken crap. The birds had been gone for about 18 months. I really had no veggie garden, so I planted a bunch of pumpkin and Butternut squash in there. Why not? They did excellent. One of the best harvests I ever had.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote