Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 8, 2008   #211
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Cool Breeze is listed as gynoecious and parthenocarpic.
Old May 14, 2008   #212
igarden
Tomatovillian™

we've had wicked cold weather here with a frost a couple days ago. we have cuke transplants in paper pots growing in the greenhouse just waiting for some warmer weather, which the weatherman is promising us later this week. we grow Armenian, Armenian Striped, Suyo Long, all for pickling and especially for market. customers love the long funny-shapes and taste of them. we also grow Marketmore and Homemade pickling. i was given seed for a small white cucumber that i will be trying this year called 'Grandma Metze'. i must add that all the photos of your plants here are spectacular!
igarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #213
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Im not sure why but I am having a bad year cucumber wise. I have sprayed the plants with Daconil occasionally and similar to what I did last year, but none of my plants have done well this year. Even Diva, which was my best cultivar last year, is coming down with some type of crud and I have only harvest 3 or 4 cukes.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #214
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Mine have yet to do anything but sprout! A couple have finally gotten the next set of leaves but usually once out the ground cucumbers go wild....well the leaves do. Must be temperatures fluctuating, maybe they are waiting on some steady heat! No crud here yet!
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #215
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

duajones, are you having very dry weather? No other crop needs water more than cucumbers, except maybe water hyacinths ;-)

When cukes are in a dry spell, they start looking like hell. One good rain does amazing things for them.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #216
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Harvested and ate my first Poona Kheera. Very nice. Lots more on the way. The only cucumber I am growing this year.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008   #217
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Harvested 5 Poona Kheeras and many more are coming on. My plants started to decline about this time last year. Hopefully they keep going this time.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008   #218
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Sugar Crunch Hyb. for the first time this year.
Old May 19, 2008   #219
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I sowed PK seeds a few weeks ago in a small container as this thread reminded me how much I like it. First flower this morning so it wont be long. Diva isnt looking all that great and I have only harvested 5 fruit from it so far
Old May 19, 2008   #220
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

My Poona Kheeras were just transplanted.

I sowed seed for National Pickling and Lemon cucumbers.

I still need to sow seed for Suyo long and a Korean cucumber as well.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2008   #221
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Poona Kheera is quite a bit later for me this grow out, put out tons of male flowers before the females finally started showing up. Will be picking my first one of the year this afternoon or in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poonakheera.jpg (124.4 KB, 18 views)
Old June 9, 2008   #222
johno
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Hmong Red, White wonder, and Burpless. There were a few that died after transplanting, and in their places I sowed Japanese climbing.

Oh, yeah... also West India Burr Gherkins.

Last edited by johno; June 9, 2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: capitalization...
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2008   #223
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I have had quite a few die even though one day they looked like healthy seedlings another they were just dead....the heat over the last week has been way higher than normal though, Weather place says high 90's but my thermometer has read 100 for three days now! Lots of droop on all cukes ;(
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2008   #224
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I'm only growing Poona Kheera this year. It's my favorite for taste, so I no longer use up garden space on other varieties.

I've been picking cukes for about a month and the plants are still producing fairly well for me, even though the heat and drought are brutal here.

Currently treating them as part shade plants and have shoved the containers up against a fence which is also close to a large tree. I also gave them a coating of Surround as a sunscreen. Before I did that, the plants were starting to wilt every day and slow down. The ones I have at the end of a raised bed in all day sun are not faring nearly as well.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2008   #225
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My PK are in a container up against a fence as well. Full morning sun but they get a break from it in the afternoon. Very healthy plants at this point. Now if the pickleworms will just stay away. These plants were started late but are still doing very well in the heat,while Diva tends to wilt mid day, I think that says something about the variety. I am having to water them twice a day as they are in a fairly small container.