Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 13, 2013   #1
adkspackler
Tomatovillian™

Default Fabric pots

Thinking of switching to a fabric pot next year. Not sure if it will make a difference or not but going to give it a shot
adkspackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013   #2
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I've been reading a lot about airpruning. I'm really curious too!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013   #3
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I have tried both. They work....but not that much better (as long as you are doing things right in standard pots). Fast draining potting mixes and regular water/feed are the key.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2013   #4
adkspackler
Tomatovillian™

This is my second year of growing tomatoes an learning alot as I go. Had some overwatering issues an coldweather but still got some awesome tomatoes. Hoping the fabric bots will help an going to maybe try a pop up hub style greenhouse looks just like my portable iceshack
Old August 14, 2013   #5
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Have you looked at the Alaska grow buckets - http://alaskagrowbuckets.com/

I'm using 5 gallon SWC using a 3 part coir, 2 part coarse perlite, 1 part coarse vermiculite mix. My Early Wonder has flower buds developing.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2013   #6
adkspackler
Tomatovillian™

That's what I need to work on next my potting mix. miracle gro potting mix is expensive an I think I can make a much better mix
Old August 26, 2013   #7
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

working great for me this year.
I have been using 25 gal Smart Pots, beige.
Sunsets Red Horizon
Black Krim
Wisconsin 55
Sioux
Nebraska wedding
Cherokee Purple
Abe Lincoln
Stump of the World
Black Cherry
Blondkopfchen
Sun Gold
Riesentraube

All doing well.
Old August 26, 2013   #8
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default 15-20 gallon

You can grow anything in 15-20 gallon, huge plants huge yields. Just make sure your medium is fluffy and won't compact, other than that, you can use several blends, but ultimately what you feed them, and when, is paramount for success. Yes, fabric is better than plastic, I have both.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #9
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Would the basic earthainer mix work well for fabric pots? I'm thinking of trying the fabric pots this year. I've got 85 seedlings and I don't have enough of my yard prepped to plant them. I only have enough plating bed space for about 15 plants I doubt I'd plant all 85, I was hoping to plant 30, keep a few for backup and give away the rest.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #10
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I've been using fabric pots for 5 years with good results. The one drawback with "Air Pruning" is your aggregate will dry out faster than with a conventional container. When this happens the aggregate will pull back from the sides of the pot and when watered the liquid will run down the side of the aggregate and out through the fabric until the aggregate gets moist and expands.

Not a big deal unless you are applying ferts via the water can. When I do apply fertilizer via the water can I will first water with no ferts allowing the aggregate to expand and then water with ferts, this way the solution will stay in the aggregate. If you are watering via drip then it won't be much of a problem as the water is applied very slowly allowing the aggregate plenty of time to hydrate.

The only other issue with Fabric pots is supporting the plants as the pots do not lend themselves to conventional methods used for plastic pots. If you place them on a fence line or up against a wall to give additional support your OK.

Otherwise I have had good results and you can reuse the pots for 3-4 seasons.
Old April 17, 2014   #11
adkspackler
Tomatovillian™

I was stationed in Berlin for three years back in 89. It's where I got my idea for my patio garden. Everyone was growing something in little tight places