Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 10, 2006   #1
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

But is that just the fact that the flower was pollinated - (either naturally or artificially) anyway? Is there something that actually visually confirms the cross? Or is it just the knowledge that you made sure it was cross-pollinated? (Does this make sense?)
Old July 11, 2006   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

I'm just keepin' my fingers crossed, Kim. I emasculated the blossoms before they opened when they were still enclosed in their green hulls with just a bit of yellow showing. Then I waited two days until the other blossoms that were in the same cluster opened and applied the pollen to the emasculated stigma ... waited another day and repeated the pollen dabs.

When the little fruit ovule started peakin' out, I removed all the other blossoms and ovules from the same cluster and left only the the crossed ovule tagged.

Here's Brandywine x Neves Azorean Red

Here's Juanne Flammee x Sun Gold

Sorry for the fuzzy focus on that one.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2006   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctomato
JF X SG good idea for a cross PV.

Ill get back to Kim's in awhile. Gonna step away from computer for awhile.

Yeah, Keith ... I'm thinkin' a big orange cherry with stinky foliage

Actually, the first J-Flam I tasted had a rather strange wang to it for my tastes. But the Sun Gold has just a sweet taste to me ... not anything really "tomatoey" like some folks describe.

Last year I grew a cherry called Chello that was yellow/gold and had a very very tomatoey flavor, but wasn't as sweet as Sun Gold.

I hope this J.F. x S.G. took good and bears seed. I'm a beginner at this crossing stuff. Last year I waited too long to emasculate the flowers. This year I doin' them green like in the narrative instructions at various sites about cross breeding.

I'll post some pics of a few more if the ovules start growing.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote