Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 18, 2017   #1426
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Cold nights, nice days. That is what we are having. Lows mostly in 40s.
I,ve got to install my wood burning stove soon. the sooner the better. I enjoy fire and heat.
On the gardening front I have to plant about 200 onion sets. I,ll do garlic before Thanksgiving.
That's fALL

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #1427
imp
Tomatovillian™

Looks like we might get some storms tomorrow evening, severe. Severe enough some events have been moved about or canceled. Supposed to get it between 4 pm and 1 am, high possibility of wind, large hail and they even said the "T" word around here on the weather warning.

I'll get my stuff done early and am already making sure my rechargable lights are charged. If the power goes out, I'll have light enough to get around a bit and read, or just get tucked up in bed and sleep through it. I once slept through a medium good earthquake.

All three of us girls will be fine and safe inside.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #1428
bower
Tomatovillian™

Stay safe, Imp!
Our forecasters have been toying with the "S" word for this weekend. Not a serious amount but maybe a few flakes, or more likely "groppel" aka ice pellets. They are small and biting but nothing like the prospect of large hail. We don't get large hail or "T"s here and I hope that never changes!

The leaves are turning now in spite of the mostly unseasonably warm weather. I hope our cold windy weekend doesn't tear them all off, as sometimes happens, but instead stay pretty for awhile.

The forecast high for tomorrow is just 37F and winds will be gusting 40 mph from NW for several days, so it will be darn chilly. But later in the week we're back up into the 60's for several days. I guess when they take the average it will look like a 'normal' year.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017   #1429
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thanks bower, we should weather it just fine enough. This old house is most of a hundred years old and has rode out many a storm. Might sound funny, but it is a house with a good nature.

I just do not care for the weather folk getting a bit excited at this time of year- they usually do not get excitable much, so I will be sensible ( for once) and plan to be inside and snug by 4 pm this afternoon.
Old October 22, 2017   #1430
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Our typical fall southern Ontario weather this week except for tomorrow which will be 71 F, we are expecting low 50's and high 40's. Rain and mainly cloudy.

Nothing like the weather we had last week in Eastern NC which was warm and sunny.

First time down in Eastern NC, we visited the Vernon James Research Station, Bath, Edenton, and Nags Head to list a few stops.

Here's a pic from Edenton showing the beautiful day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edenton nc.jpg (552.4 KB, 61 views)
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017   #1431
imp
Tomatovillian™

What a lovely place that is!

Storm passed with nothing here but a lot of noise, LOL, and a decent rain, a bit of wind but not more than usual.

Dropped to 60, and the girls and I were safe and snug.
Old October 23, 2017   #1432
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Hanging out in Miami for almost a month now, everyday pretty much the same. Mid to high eighties, rain showers nearly every day and oppressive humidity, but the fishing has been exceptional and they say cooler weather is ahead.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017   #1433
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Hanging out in Miami for almost a month now, everyday pretty much the same. Mid to high eighties, rain showers nearly every day and oppressive humidity, but the fishing has been exceptional and they say cooler weather is ahead.
Totally oppressive, but a strong enough to get finally here cold front is coming to South Florida on Wednesday then boom! Humidity gone, and it's the gorgeous dry season. Hang in there Ricky Shaw. It will be more humid ahead of the front.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017   #1434
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oklahoma was on the news last night for destructive tornadoes. I hope Scott is alright.
We did get snow flurries yesterday, and this morning there are snowflakes frozen to the top of the car. Windchill minus five C. Could be even colder tonight, but nice weather in the outlook thank goodness, since we have to plant the garlic this week! Some years that we planted late, it was so miserable you couldn't feel your fingers poking cloves in the ground.
Old October 23, 2017   #1435
imp
Tomatovillian™

Worst area was around Norman, suburb of Oklahoma City, more or less. Same storm that went over us, but got mean when it hit Oklahoma.

Is Scott near there?
Old October 23, 2017   #1436
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Norman must have some terrible kharma!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #1437
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Spring has seen no frosts cold enough to kill tomatoes etc, thats not normal and is a worry for the future. Lovely warm 24C high today.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #1438
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Norman must have some terrible kharma!
I would not normally choose to live there myself, weather seems to get rough there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medbury Gardens View Post
Spring has seen no frosts cold enough to kill tomatoes etc, thats not normal and is a worry for the future. Lovely warm 24C high today.
You are warming and we here in Texas are cooling ( a little, LOL).
Old October 24, 2017   #1439
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post

You are warming and we here in Texas are cooling ( a little, LOL).
I imagine a bit of cooling would be welcome

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #1440
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Medbury!

I noticed that the Antarctic has been in the news this year for major calving of ice shelfs etc. Which has been an ongoing theme in the Arctic for years. It is having a major impact on our weather here, some very cold summers as huge chunks of Greenland ice float past. And a bubble of cold water around us much of the time, caused by the stream of meltwater.
On the flip side we also had some hotter than normal weather if and when we're lined up with the airflow from down south.

I'm always interested to hear how you're doing Down Under.
This thread has been really interesting in the contrast of weather different places.