Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 31, 2020   #1
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Default Malinovaya Zebra - info?

Hi everybody!

I am growing out "Malinovaya Zebra" as passed along by FarmerShawn from one of Carolyn's last seed offers.

It's had a bumpy ride but is finally fruiting and I have high hopes for being able to save enough seed to share.

But that leads me toward curiosity about what exactly I'm growing! In one of her earlier posts, Carolyn listed it as "Malinovaya Zebra – Indet. PL Tri-color Beefsteak Slicer" -- I also found this in SSE: "80 days, indet, reg leaf plant with a high yield of 12-20 oztri-color beefsteak fruit with outstanding flavor. From NY MA C, 2017, via Marina in Russia" ... except mine is definitely PL as was Carolyn's description of earlier here at TV.

I'm curious about what the fruit looks like. Did anyone here ever grow it out, and if so did you save pics or other information you can share? I'm having a hard time finding any online.

Take care,
Kathy

Last edited by KathyDC; July 31, 2020 at 02:19 PM.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2020   #2
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Mine were PL. One of my favorites!

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2020   #3
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Good to know! I wonder what this description was when it was first listed in SSE. Anybody have access to back issues? Or does anyone know if the original source, Marina, is around on the forums or otherwise reachable?
Old August 28, 2020   #4
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

I'm thrilled to say that I picked my first blushing MZ just yesterday, and looks like I'll be able to pick a second today. Regarding the description above, I would not say that it is very productive, at least it hasn't been for me -- but it was a late start, from old seed, so I'm happy to get enough fruit to save seed from.

I'll post some pictures soon.
Old September 1, 2020   #5
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

So far three total that I've picked, and are now ripened. I'm going to collect seed from these three. Hopefully I'll get one I can taste before the season is over! (The saladettes next to them are Karma Purples.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9991 (1).jpg (158.0 KB, 64 views)
Old September 1, 2020   #6
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

I collected the seeds this evening and here’s what the sliced fruit looked like. I was surprised that more red was t expressed in the flesh since so much was expressed in the skin! Also snuck myself a slice.

The flesh is firm and very meaty, relatively few seeds. I would describe the flavor as balanced between the milder skin of a yellow and the more acid tomato taste of a red. Really good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A9449F4A-F3D4-4873-9B2B-7C225D50FEF7.jpg (129.2 KB, 55 views)