Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 22, 2015   #1
pauladkins
Tomatovillian™

Default 1st Timer Starting Seeds

I bought a Hydrofarm 7 inch dome with heat mat. I hope to start all my plants with it this season. My first question is how long do you keep the mat on & any idea how many times a day I will have to wet the seeds? I bought a light & I am not sure when I should turn it. I know it needs to be on when the seeds start to pop up, but does it help to keep a light on before the seeds sprout?
pauladkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Be sure to read all the "stickies" in the "Starting From Seed" section of the site. Be careful that your heat mat doesn't cook the seeds. As soon as the seeds sprout, the heat mat will only make them long and leggy. Light before germination isn't needed, but light as soon as the first sprout shows up is needed asap, preferably for about 14 hours/day. Overwatering will cause loads of problems- just wet the medium as directed and with the dome on (and propped open a bit with a pencil or something on a corner of the tray), you shouldn't need to water for days, until after the dome is removed, which happens as soon as the first sprouts show up and the lights go on. The top of the soiless mix needs to dry out to avoid damping off, fungus, etc.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #3
pauladkins
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Kath. So I should leave the mat on 24 hours until I see some sprouts? I have containers to start 40-50- seeds at a time & I know they all won't sprout at the same time. How many sprouts do you wait for before turning the mat off?
pauladkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

You're very welcome! If the seedlings can't be separated from one other, you have to be the judge, but I take the whole tray off the heat and hope the others are well on their way to sprouting. If you keep the tray in a spot that's about 70 degrees F., they'll sprout without added bottom heat anyway. For me, as soon as the first one sprouts, the dome comes off, the lights go on & the heat goes off. Not everyone will agree- it's not an exact science. Tomatoes are pretty forgiving. Your soilless medium will dry out faster without the dome, but it's easy to overwater and pampering them causes more harm than good.
Old January 22, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont believe in heat mats.
If you just have to use the thing you need to use a thermostat on it to control the heat.
I cant count how many times I have seen folks cook their seeds with heat mats here.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #6
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I highly HIGHLY recommend matching Craig's dense sowing series. Taught me everything about starting from seed. I only bottom water though.
And I only needed my heat mat for pepper seeds.
Old January 22, 2015   #7
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

The final step after everything is done you must sacrifice a chicken to the tomato gods.

I usually go to KFC and order a bucket of chicken.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
The final step after everything is done you must sacrifice a chicken to the tomato gods.

I usually go to KFC and order a bucket of chicken.
I thought this was the first step?!?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2015   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I dont believe in heat mats.
If you just have to use the thing you need to use a thermostat on it to control the heat.
I cant count how many times I have seen folks cook their seeds with heat mats here.

Worth
My heating mat doesn't have a thermostat, so I elevate the tray by setting it on an old cookie cooling rack with the support legs in the folded position. It puts the bottom of the tray about 3/4" above the mat in a room that's ~ 65 degrees F. That way I'm sure the soil won't overheat.
Old January 23, 2015   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Adding to the other suggestions, I have found I particularly like clear containers for seeds. Especially when using DE. It just makes it easier to monitor the germination, root development, and water needs. Good luck!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
My heating mat doesn't have a thermostat, so I elevate the tray by setting it on an old cookie cooling rack with the support legs in the folded position. It puts the bottom of the tray about 3/4" above the mat in a room that's ~ 65 degrees F. That way I'm sure the soil won't overheat.
I should have expressed the importance of the room temperature.
My neighbor ladies house is 80 degrees F .

Have you checked the temperature of the soil the seeds are in with the heat mat elevated 3/4 of an inch?
Just curious.

A person may consider mixing 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 10 parts water to spray the soil with.
This will help stop damping off tremendously.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2015   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I should have expressed the importance of the room temperature.
My neighbor ladies house is 80 degrees F .

Have you checked the temperature of the soil the seeds are in with the heat mat elevated 3/4 of an inch?
Just curious.

A person may consider mixing 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 10 parts water to spray the soil with.
This will help stop damping off tremendously.

Worth
My parents used to keep their home that hot.

Haven't used a soil thermometer on it, no- just use my finger.

The H2O2 tip is a great one- that works really well, even if you already notice any visible fuzzy growth!