Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 3, 2010   #1
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite heirloom apples?

I can squeeze in one more apple tree. The ones I have so far are all newer varieties. I'd like to add one heirloom to the bunch.

If you have a favorite, let me know what it is, and why its your favorite.
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2010   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

I recall watching the Victorian Kitchen Garden, and Cox's Orange Pippin was highly recommended for taste - however on a web search I read it is a most difficult apple to grow, but you may be interested in this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NldE...eature=related

Last edited by PNW_D; January 4, 2010 at 07:57 PM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2010   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Ashmead's Kernel has been available at the farmers' market. I look for it every year. Great flavor and crunch. Very old variety. I tend to like apples that are very crunchy and more tart than sweet, more like Braeburn than Fuji. Some of the ones I've liked (some of which are now in grocery stores) include Mutsu, Black Twig, Pink Pearl.

Is there anyplace you can go to taste them? Some of the nurseries in my area that order bare roots have apple tastings every year or so.

If you already have an apple tree, did you know you can graft onto it one or more branches of different varieties? California Rare Fruit Growers (cfrg.org) hosts scion exchanges in January; maybe other states have something similar?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2010   #4
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Of the heirloom apples, what thrives in one part of the country may not do so well in Illinois. North American Fruit Explorers is an organization with many in your area. Too, what are you seeking in the way of texture, size, use, flavor, color, etc.? The rootstock selected for that part of the country is an equally important issue to match your soil and freezing conditions. With over 4000 varieties, once you decide the above, it would be easy to get EXACTLY what you want AND on the best rootstock. Dr. Forsline of Cornell is the leading expert, or through NAFEX there are many in the midwest.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2010   #5
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

A long time and very respected resource in Illinois...a great source for tasting some of the Illionois heirlooms and getting some very good advice

http://www.applesource.com/antiques.htm
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote