Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 15, 2011   #1
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Default Italian Striped

Has anyone grown this one? I am getting a beautiful 4-8 oz striped beefsteak, but I read a description and it said it was golf ball sized. Thanks
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011   #2
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps you, me and Geza are the only ones growing these. My second year and have gotten favorable reports from those that I have shared them with. Geza did not have any additional information about them when I last checked. Will you grow them a second time? Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011   #3
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Patty,

Plan on growing it again next year. The fruit looks very similar to Chocolate Stripes and Dark Chocolate Stripes which I also grew this year. So had the thought that maybe I got one of those seedlings in the IS garden slot. But the IS plant was only 4-5 ft tall while the plants of the CS and DC where 7-8 ft tall.

Have you tried CS or DCS; will definitely be growing those again.
Old September 19, 2011   #4
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I have not tried the chocolate stripes. Maybe we can do a fall trade?? Patty
ps. My Italian striped were also short.
Old September 19, 2011   #5
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the plant info; are your fruits beefsteaks -6-10oz? Always ready for a trade.

Gary
Old September 19, 2011   #6
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I didn't weigh them and they were slightly bigger last year. Not the best growing season for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Italian Stripe (2).jpg (196.6 KB, 100 views)
Old September 19, 2011   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing Indian Stripe for about 5 years now. Each year, I save seeds from the largest fruit, then plant those the following year. Mine are now typically 8 to 10 ounces in mass. Definitely in my "top 10" to grow every Season.

SORRY - I misread the name "Italian" and mixed it up with "Indian". Need new glasses......

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Any chance that you folks ARE growing Indian Stripe and I ask b'c this summer I was growing one called Flathead Indian _________, cant remember without looking it up and freda read the tag as italian, not Indian, and Indian Stripe also has some stripes as you know.

Geza gets seeds for everyone from everywhere and is it possible that italian could have been subbed for Indian?

Another pertinent point is that while the variety is called Indian Stripe Glenn Drowns lists it as Indian Striped, so could that have morphed into Italian Striped?

I looked at the picture but didn't enlarge it but it looked much like Indian Stripe to me, possibly.

Which may explain why there's little to no information available about a variety called Italian Striped.

On the otherr hand Al Andersen lists italian Striped in the 2011 Yearbook and his source is Gary Millwood, who posts here and so why not contact him about it since AL describes it as golf ball sized which apparently neiher of you got.

Gotta love a good mystery.
Old September 19, 2011   #9
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Flathead Indian (or whatever!), as you sent me to grow for your seedlings, Carolyn, ended up being a large oblate purple potato leaf variety - but the one fruit rotted and I got no saved seed. So, same color as Cherokee Purple and Indian Stripe (and I've never seen actual stripes in Indian Stripe - just a large oblate purple tomato with dark shoulders, very similar to Cherokee Purple).
Old September 19, 2011   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Flathead Indian (or whatever!), as you sent me to grow for your seedlings, Carolyn, ended up being a large oblate purple potato leaf variety - but the one fruit rotted and I got no saved seed. So, same color as Cherokee Purple and Indian Stripe (and I've never seen actual stripes in Indian Stripe - just a large oblate purple tomato with dark shoulders, very similar to Cherokee Purple).
Craig, I'd have to check out the parentage on the Flathead Indian but I know it was developed by Bill Jeffers, he sent seeds to Suze who grew it out still more and my seeds were from Suze. Right this minute I can't find my notes as whether Flathead is PL or RL but a large beefsteak that was rotten by I recorded it as deep pink fully ripe.

I've seen lots of pictures posted of both Indian Stripe and Cherokee Purple where stripes are seen, as green, some more distinct than others but the stripes usually go away as the fruits ripen up. If I could find the thread at GW with some of those pictures I would.

I don't think Burson would have referred to the variety that Donna got from him as both Indian Stripe, aka Indian Zebra if he hadn't also seen stripes at some stage of development.
Old September 19, 2011   #11
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I seem to remember a mention of Flathead Indian on the idig forum,
maybe 6 months to a year ago. I think I remember Bill saying that it's a cross between Daniels and Indian Stripe. Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011   #12
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Patty, I got the IS seeds from you; is Italian Striped correct or is it Italian Stripe or Italian Stripes? maybe I got the misspelled.
Old September 19, 2011   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Carolyn, I seem to remember a mention of Flathead Indian on the idig forum,
maybe 6 months to a year ago. I think I remember Bill saying that it's a cross between Daniels and Indian Stripe. Darlene
Darlene, I just checked out the whole situation at idig from back posts and threads.

First, Flathead Monster is not the same as Flathead Indian, and as Bill said in a post, had he known there was this Flathead Mosnter one first listed in the SSE Yearbook by Dodorhty Beiswinger he would never named his Flathead Indian and the two are completely different. Actually he said he named it Flathead Indian 53 b'c of some motorcycle engine, or something like that.

The situation with the Flathead Monster one, named after the Flathead river is a very confused one and is not stable either, so I'll just post about the Flathead Indian one.

Bill got a cross between Indian Stripe and what he thinks might be Daniels but doesn't know for sure. The F2 seeds gave both RL and PL plants, some pink, some what he called purple. Daniels is supposed to be PL and Indian Stripe is RL.

Bill sent F2 seeds to Suze, and she sent me back F3 seeds and as I posted above I have just one fruit to date, it was a deep pink and I don't know if it was PL or RL until I find my other data book.

Earlier today I sent a group e-mail to those helping me with seed production and I just checked my list and I think Shoe, in NC, is also growing this Flathead Indian one.

At this point it's still genetically unstable and I know I'm not going to list it in the YEarbook, no one has b'c it isn't stable and I'm not going to list it in my seed offer here for the same reason.

Hope that helps.

Someone PMed me about the Flathead Monster one perhaps confusing this Flathead Indian one with that one, so I do hope I've clarified the situation and clearly said the two Flathead ones are completely distinct and both are genetically unstable andneither one is a family heirloom.
Old September 19, 2011   #14
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I love Patty's photo!

Perhaps I'll add this to my 2012 list, as I got seeds from Geza as well.

I have not seen stripes on Indian Stripe either...
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011   #15
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Trust me, Carolyn - what I sent you is potato leaf! All three plants were PL.