Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 14, 2007   #16
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

FlipTX thanks- FYI the varieties in the picture are german butterball and red thumb both from milk ranch. The German butterball is VERY creamy and sweet and very yellow on the inside. The red thumb is great too, but tasted more like a nice tender potato and is a light pink on the inside. The German butterball wasn't as good as a savory dish, but they were still the favored in the family. We at all of ours too without taking a picture of them cut. I have three more varieties still to be harvested, so we'll see. I am envious about your beans. Ours are only 6 inch high right now.

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2007   #17
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Tiffanie, do you grow potatoes in the fall, too? If so, were there any particular varieties that did especially well for you? I'm thinking I'll grow Yukon gold this time around. I tried some kind of fingerling potato last fall (I forget its name) but the heat lingered and the plants never took off.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2007   #18
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

FlipTX- I never tried in the fall, but I think it would work just fine. I could plant them in my buckets and throw them in the garage during the freezes. I don't know why it never ocurred to me to do such a thing when I push the envelope for other veggies such as peas. Thanks for the idea- I will try it this fall too. Perhaps we could both trial some varieties together.

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2007   #19
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

The Milk Ranch paper catalogue lists a few varieties as "heat tolerant", which I'm thinking would be a good thing for either of us attempting to grow taters in the fall. That way we can plant when it's still warm and there's still plenty of sunlight, and let them mature as the weather cools and days shorten.

Do you have the paper catalogue, Tiffanie? If not, I can post the varieties they list.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote