Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 2, 2007   #1
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default More Practical Advise Please

I toyed with cross tom several times no luck. Yes I read the post and C Deppe's book.

Now some Questions
I aim to cross Earl Faux with Pineapple. Pineapple is lagging behind another week until it has blossoms (Only have one plant) Earls is going gang busters four plants with Fruit set and covered in flowers.

Does it mater if I use Pineapple as the female parent if I want a potatoe leaf F2's?

If it doesn't mater should I start collecting Pollen for Earl's Faux and store some how?

I will photograph every thing as I do it an likely ask tons of questions!
Celtic
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2007   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Crossing is a life time's work. I am nearly convinced that starting super early in life makes later life simple.

Quote:
Does it mater if I use Pineapple as the female parent if I want a potatoe leaf F2's?
No!

Quote:
If it doesn't mater should I start collecting Pollen for Earl's Faux and store some how?
I prefer fresh pollen, if in doubt Google tomato pollen and storage.

Quote:
I will photograph every thing as I do it an likely ask tons of questions!
Do it! I am too lazy to do that. I don't have multiple hands beyond two. Questions welcomed.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2007   #3
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Thanks,
I have a wife and several kids who won't mind taking photos of me likely making a fool of myself.
Celtic
Old June 5, 2007   #4
dice
Tomatovillian™

Storage life of tomato pollen:

http://tgc.ifas.ufl.edu/vol1/v1p11.html
Old June 7, 2007   #5
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Question would you remove the anther cone form this flower or wait a day or two
Celtic
Old June 8, 2007   #6
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

If you look at the sepals, one of the separate green parts forming the calyx of a tomato flower, you see that the anther cone is hidden from view. If the anther cone is quite green, I wouldn't think this would be a good time to pollinate. However, if you can emasculate the flower, you could always come back a day or two later to add the pollen to the stigma.

A couple of quick observations, it looks like the tomato vine is not putting enough emphasis on these buds, as they look to be vestigial and will likely abort early. The plant seems to be growing profusely above this inflorescent and is saying forget you! The flowers in the background are growing optimally.

Myself, I would pinch those buds off and wait for a better cluster to develop! This truss is too weak in my opinion.

Show me this same photo position in a day or two and I can better advise you on feasibilities. Even if the cross takes, the fruit is likely to be smaller than wished for and may still abort soon after seed set.

In any event, I cannot see the anthers showing yet which indicates that it is too immature for emasculating and also too immature for accepting pollen. I usually pull back on a sepal or two to view the anther cone better.

Tom
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2007   #7
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks

Thanks Tom,
That was a big help. Pineapple has always been my wifes favorite but always results in very few tomatoes.
I will do as you suggest wait a few day and give serious consideration to making this the male parent. (Especially if you think it I can get enough pollen form a few flowers to pollenate) Earl Faux is going gang busters and the plants have multiple blooms to choose from.
Celtic